Sat, 31 Aug 2013  /  Post a comment
UK-based DJ, producer and record label head, Owen Howells
, is currently touring Australia with upcoming gigs in Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne. Regarded as “part Aussie”, Howells grew up on our beautiful shores throughout most of his teen years.
Owen’s record label Shades Recordings
(formerly Shades of Grey) is described as “forward thinking music with its foundations set in the past”. Shades has garnered support from the likes of Mary Anne-Hobbs, Kerri Chandler, MANDY, Gavin Herlihy, Luke Solomon and George Fitzgerald right through to some of techno’s finest innovators and purists such as Eric Cloutier, Voigtmann & Bruno.
Originally, Shades of Grey was an event in Brixton between Howells and a bunch of pals, which morphed into a record label after years of hard work. The concept of this event continued into their record label, which meant they were not bounded by any one genre. This allowed them to explore techno, house and any other electronic music genre that dealt in low-end bass.
When he’s not busy in the studio, you’ll likely find Howell’s digging for rare grooves, as he’s a self-confessed vinyl junkie. Already toured Czech Republic, Malta, Berlin and North America, Owen is off to Japan after his Australian tour.
Next Saturday, 6th September 2013, starting from 2pm, you can catch Owen playing at We’rehaus
at Sydney’s Red Bull HQ in Alexandria. Deep House Australia will have a double pass to giveaway early next week, so keep your eyes peeled on the DHA FB page
Join the We’rehaus Facebook event here
01. Efdemin - Nighttrain (Fred P Reshape) [Dial]
02. Benjamin Brunn - Queen Mary [Smallville]
03. Ricardo Villalobos - Gugga Sempa [Perlon]
04. Matt John - Hello Again [Bar 25]
05. Percussions - Rabbit Songs [Text]
06. Mr. G - unnamed [Relative]
07. Gemini - How Can I [Re-release on Robsoul]
08. Nail - Optimus [Fear of Flying re release/ DiY Discs]
09. Blake Baxter - Our Love [Decks Classix]
10. Freddie Norwood -They Never Used To Stay Out All Night [Untzz]
11. The Organ Grinder - Universe [4lux]
12. Subb-An - Off The Walls (Melon's Club Mix) [Tsuba]
Be sure to join the DHA community on Facebook
, or subscribe to our podcast in iTunes
Mon, 13 May 2013  /  Post a comment
Half-English, half-Welsh, Owen Howells is now a South London native with his hands in all the right pots. While running his label Shades, or holding down his residency at Apogee, Owen plays a perfect blend of techno and house. He will be joining us at Cameo Gallery this Friday, and ahead of schedule, delivered a great dig into his sound. Sitting down with some tables and wax, Owen's presented a great taste of tweaks, bass and moddy head-rattling. Indulge.