Dixon, Henrik Schwarz and Âme are coming together yet again for a new compilation that examines the links between minimal techno and much older examples of minimalistic music.
In a press statement the trio explained how the project came about, saying that they "had in mind the idea to put together a great minimal techno selection with stuff from the early '90s, which really inspired us, like Robert Hood, Dan Bell, Plastikman, Pansonic and Mike Ink to name a few. Whilst working on the project we had the feeling that there is so much more great and influential minimal music from way before the techno thing started." Whilst you'll find beaty excursions by the aforementioned names on the compilation, cuts from Conrad Schnitzler, John Carpenter and Moondog are included to represent the old guard of minimalism.
Entitled The Grandfather Paradox: A Journey Through 50 Years of Minimalistic Music, the collection comes with two discs, one of which is mixed by the trio. Whilst the aesthetic differences between the tracks are great, the Innervisions guys have managed to work them into a flowing 18-track mix, which they didn't actually find too difficult. "In minimal music there is so much in between the sounds," they explain, "and the space that gives you allows opportunities for one's own interpretation."
DJs wanting to try out the same tricks can make use of the included unmixed CD, which features ten of the tracks from the first disc in addition to tracks from Can, Arthur Russell, Young Marble Giants and Pyrolator that didn't make it on to the final mix.
01. Steve Reich & Pat Metheny - Electric Counterpoint - Fast (Movement 3)
02. Etienne Jaumet - Repeat After Me (Âme Mix)
03. Kenneth Bager - Fragment Eleven… The Day After Yesterday Pt.1
04. Liquid Liquid - Lock Groove (Out)
05. Cymande - For Baby Oh
06. Patrick Moraz - Metamorphoses 1st Movement (Live)
07. To Rococo Rot - Testfeld
08. Mathematics - Blue Water
09. I:Cube - Acid Tablet
10. Ø - Atomit
11. Conrad Schnitzler - Electrocon 11
12. Green Pickles feat. Billy Lo & M. Pittman - Feedback
13. La Funk Mob - Motor Bass Gets Phunked Up (Richie Hawtin's Electrophunk Mix)
14. John Carpenter - The President Is Gone
15. Yusef Lateef - The Three Faces Of Bala
16. Robert Hood - Minus
17. Raymond Scott - Bass-Line Generator
18. Moondog - Invocation
01. Conrad Schnitzler - Elektrocon 11
02. Steve Reich & Pat Metheny - Electric Counterpoint - Fast (Movement 3)
03. Liquid Liquid - Lock Groove (Out)
04. To Rococo Rot - Testfeld
05. Patrick Moraz - Metamorphoses 1st Movement (Live)
06. Young Marble Giants - N.i.t.a
07. Kenneth Bager - Fragment Eleven… The Day After Yesterday Pt.1
08. Arthur Russell - Make 1, 2
09. John Carpenter - The President Is Gone
10. Robert Hood - Minus
11. Raymond Scott - Bass-Line Generator
12. Pyrolator - November Mühlheim
13. Cymande - For Baby Oh
14. Can - Sunday Jam
BBE release The Grandfather Paradox: A Journey Through 50 Years of Minimalistic Music on February 23, 2009.