The DJ/producer will mix the third instalment in Ostgut Ton's Berghain mix series.
Len Faki is set to follow in the footsteps of fellow Berghain residents André Galluzzi and Marcel Dettmann with Berghain 03.
After moving to Berlin in 2002 to restart his musical career, Faki soon became a resident at the now world-renowned Berghain, as well as starting his own Podium and Figure labels. After several years at the club, he's now been selected as the latest artist to represent the Berghain in mix CD form. Faki's mix opens with the chirpy orchestral manoeuvres of John Beltran's "Vienna," before moving into a section of stripped-back techno that's more characteristic of the usual music that is played at the venue. Exclusive tracks from Radio Slave, Edit-Select and Faki himself are mixed up with classics such as Gez Varley's "The World Is Yours" and Planetary Assault Systems' burbling "Surface Noise," but the real surprise comes in the final third of the mix.
Faki has said that he wants to try and reflect all of the styles that he plays during one of his marathon sets at Berghain, and whilst he usually plays peak-time techno sets elsewhere in the world, the Berlin club is the only place where he really has the time to indulge himself in the housier side of his sound. The closing run of tracks reflect this, as he fires through selections from the likes of Tony Lionni, Nick Holder, and even Basement Jaxx. The final twist in the tale is the inclusion of Burial's remix of UK indie rockers Bloc Party, which brings the mix to a conclusion on a spectral 2-step vibe. Basement Jaxx and Burial on a Berghain mix? Who'd have thought it? Faki will launch the mix at Berghain's Klubnacht on Saturday April 18th, with the full line-up still yet to be announced.
01. John Beltran – Vienna
02. Edit-Select – Bauer (Exclusive Track)
03. Roman Lindau – Raumgestaltung
04. Collabs feat. Speedy J & Chris Liebing – Magnit Express
05. Gez Varley pres. Tony Montana – The World Is Yours
06. Someone Else – Lowdown Brittle (Wink’s Profound Sound Interpretation)
07. Pfirter – Mi Chica
08. Eric Johnston – Waiting For Weird
09. JP Montesino – Viaje Numero Uno
10. Planetary Assault Systems – Surface Noise
11. Len Faki – BX 3 (Exclusive Track)
12. Radio Slave - Neverending (Exclusive Track)
13. Radio Slave w/ Dennis Ferrer – Neverending w/ Jero a cappella
14. Koljah & Oliver Deutschmann - Eaten Back To Life (Ed Davenport's Stripped Mix)
15. Tony Lionni – Found A Place (Exclusive Track)
16. Basement Jaxx – Fly Life (Xtra Mix)
17. Nick Holder & Kaje pres. Trackheadz – Feel (Instrumental Mix)
18. Laurent Garnier – The Man With The Red Face
19. Ferrer & Sydenham Inc. - Timbuktu
20. Bloc Party - Where is Home? (Burial Remix)
Ostgut will release Len Faki's Berghain 03 on April 20, 2009.