Strut Records are preparing to release ZE 30: ZE Records 1979-2009, a compilation charting 30 years of the cult NYC imprint.
Formed back in 1979 by British journalist Michael Zilkha and French art student Michel Esteban, ZE was founded amid the burgeoning NYC punk and new wave scenes. By '82 the imprint had slipped into the wider world's conscience for both the output of artists such as Suicide, Cristina and Kid Creole, but for its combining of music and fashion.
To mark the 30th birthday, Strut, in conjunction with ZE founder Esteban, have created a timely snapshot of the label's weird and wonderful discography. Included with the vinyl and CD packages is a full account of the ZE story, featuring interviews with Esteban and some of the imprint's original musical contributors, alongside a collection of rare and previously unpublished photos.
01. Was (Not Was) – Tell Me That I'm Dreaming (Traditional 12" Remix)
02. Don Armando's Second Avenue Rhumba Band – Deputy Of Love (Mutant Disco Version)
03. Cristina – Things Fall Apart
04. Lizzy Mercier Descloux – Hard-Boiled Babe
05. Alan Vega – Jukebox Babe
06. Casino Music – The Beat Goes On
07. James White & The Blacks – Contort Yourself (Album Version)
08. Kid Creole & The Coconuts – Something Wrong In Paradise (Larry Levan Mix)
09. Material Feat. Nona Hendryx – Bustin' Out (Seize The Beat Version)
10. Garcons – French Boys
11. Aural Exciters – Maladie D'amour
12. Suicide – Dream Baby Dream (Long Version)
13. Michael Dracula – What Can I Do For You
14. Marie Et Les Garcons – Re Bop Electronic
Strut Records will release Ze 30: Ze Records 1979-2009 Summer 2009.