The drum & bass pioneer gets "intimate" and "introspective" on the next installment of !K7's mix series.
Photek has mixed the next edition of DJ-Kicks, due for release on April 3rd.
Rupert Parkes made a name for himself in the '90s as one of drum & bass's leading lights, but in the past few years he's reinvented himself, slipping into the grey area between bass music and house. DJ-Kicks reflects this sensibility, with selections like Sepalcure's "Taking You Back" and Baby Ford & Eon's "Dead Eye" (one of Parkes' "all time favourite tracks"). According to the man himself, the mix is quite different from what you're likely to hear him play in a club. "It's music with some atmosphere," he says. "It's introspective. I imagined that this would be the mixtape that you listen to later on—after the club."
The album features four exclusive tracks from Photek, including a collaboration with Kuru called "Fountainhead," which will also be included on !K7's upcoming collection DJ-Kicks The Exclusives.
01. Photek - Azymuth
02. Kromestar - In 2 Minds
03. Hot Toddy feat. Ron Basejam - I Need Love (Morgan Geist's Love Dub)
04. DLX - Modern Man
05. DJG - Here Come The Dark Lights
06. Dustmite & Kuru - Bare
07. Photek & Pinch - M25FM
08. Photek - No Agenda
09. Baby Ford + Eon - Dead Eye (Original Version)
10. Marco Effe - Sexgas (Arnaud Le Texier Remix)
11. DJG - Say Something
12. Guy J & Miriam Vaga - No Under But You
13. Daze Maxim - Tomorrow Universe
14. Sepalcure - Taking You Back
15. Photek - Levitation
16. Photek & Kuru - Fountainhead (DJ-Kicks)
17. Synkro - Look At Yourself
18. Photek - 101 (Boddika's Drum Machine Remix)
19. Parxe & Grincheux - The Art Of Nothing pt. 1
!K7 will release Photek's DJ-Kicks on April 3rd, 2012.