III shows group member Ethan Kath taking over all production duties for the first time.
Crystal Castles will release their third album on November 5th.
Until now the Toronto duo forgone the tradition of naming their albums (their 2008 debut and its 2010 follow-up were both called Crystal Castles). They break this habit on the new one, if only slightly: it's called III. According to a press release, III marks the first time band member Ethan Kath has taken full responsibility for the album's production (Alice Glass is singing as always). "We wanted the new album to sound like a completely different and new experience," says Kath. “We'd limit ourselves to one take on each song because we believe the first take is the rawest expression of an idea."
III was recorded mostly in Warsaw and Berlin. Two of the songs are already available online: "Plague" and "Wrath of God." The cover art is a rendition of an award winning photograph by Samuel Arand. It shows a Yemeni woman cradling her son, who was hurt by teargas during a protest.
Crystal Castles will support III with a string of tour dates starting next month. They'll play six gigs in the UK, and three more in the US, Canada and the Netherlands.
03. Wrath of God
05. Pale Flesh
06. Sad Eyes
09. Violent Youth
12. Child I Will Hurt You
Fiction Records will release III on November 5th, 2012.
- Nov 02 Crystal Castles, Congress Theater, Illinois
- Nov 04 Crystal Castles, Kool Haus, Toronto
- Nov 22 Crystal Castles, HMV Institute, Midlands
- Nov 23 Crystal Castle.., University of East Anglia (UEA), South + East
- Nov 24 Crystal Castles, Brixton Academy, London
- Nov 26 Crystal Castles, ABC 1, Scotland
- Nov 27 Crystal Castles, O2 Academy Leeds, North
- Nov 28 Crystal Castles, Manchester Academy 1, North
- Dec 06 Crystal Castles, Melkweg, Amsterdam