Nicolas Jaar, Lindstrøm and Daniel Wang have all been announced as part of the three-week programme.
Sydney Festival's 2013 programme has been announced, with Nicolas Jaar and Lindstrøm amongst the electronic acts announced.
For the past number of years the Festival Bar, which hosts the majority of Sydney Festival's dance parties, has been set up at Hyde Park Barracks, until the decision was made to take things indoors and relocate to Sydney Town Hall, where a total of ten shows will take place throughout this year's event. The new venue, which will be branded as "Paradiso", will debut on January 19th with local promoter Picnic hosting a night with Metro Area member Darshan Jesrani and Balihu boss Daniel Wang, both significant figures in the development of new era disco. New York prodigy Nicolas Jaar will be performing on January 23rd as part of his debut Australian tour, in this instance at an evening presented by Sydney independent radio station FBi. The following night will be taken over by Japanese funk outfit Osaka Monaurail, a group of nine instrumentalists and devout James Brown lovers. On the 26th, Sydney label Future Classic will present Lindstrøm's first appearance in the country since 2008, with the Future Classic DJs in support.
Outside of the Town Hall shows, the programme is characteristically eclectic, featuring a vast range of dance, art, film and musical events. Talking Heads frontman David Byrne will be on stage at the State Theatre with recent collaborator St Vincent, a former member of The Polyphonic Spree, on January 17 and 18. Jaar will be appearing a second time on the 24th at Late In The Garden, with band member Dave Harrington joining him to perform under the pair's Darkside guise. At the same location, three days later, Stones Throw founder Peanut Butter Wolf will team up with Nite Jewel to give a rendition of Kraftwerk's seminal 1981 album Computer World. For fans of cinema, Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey will screen at the Sydney Opera House on January 24th and 25th, with the Sydney Symphony and Philharmonic Choir scoring the entire film live.
The full 2013 programme can be viewed at the Sydney Festival website.
- Jan 17 Sydney Festival: David Byrne & St Vincent, The State T..
- Jan 18 Sydney Festival: David Byrne & St Vincent, The State T..
- Jan 19 Sydney Festival: Paradiso - Picnic presents Darshan Je..
- Jan 21 Sydney Festival: Paradiso - So Frenchy So Chic, Sydney..
- Jan 22 Sydney Festival: Paradiso - Dappled Cities, Sydney Tow..
- Jan 23 Sydney Festival: Paradiso - FBi presents Nicolas Jaar,..
- Jan 24 Sydney Festival: Darkside, Hyde Park
- Jan 24 Sydney Festival: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Sydney Opera H..
- Jan 24 Sydney Festival: Paradiso - Osaka Monaurail, Sydney To..
- Jan 25 Sydney Festival: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Sydney Opera H..
- Jan 26 Sydney Festival: Paradiso - Future Classic presents Li..
- Jan 27 Sydney Festival: Kraftwerk’s Computer World, performed..