The shadowy cassette label has released its first compilation.
Opal Tapes has released its first compilation, Cold Holiday.
The baby of UK producer Basic House, the label has had a strong first year, putting out cassettes from artists like Wanda Group, Huerco S, 1991 and others from around the world. Opal Tapes' remit is largely experimental, encompassing everything from abstract ambient and drone music to ragged house beats not unlike those on Ron Morelli's L.I.E.S. Imprint. Opal Tapes also saw one of its releases, 1991's High-Tech Hi-Life, pressed onto vinyl this year through Boomkat Editions.
The label has made its first proper foray into non-cassette territory with the digital compilation Cold Holiday, released with a pay-what-you-want pricing model on its Bandcamp page. The 13-track collection rounds up new missives from label regulars and newcomers alike, including "Mad Disrespect" producer Anthony Naples and Vancouver hardware nerd Cloudface.
01. Anthony Naples - The Beacon (Instrumental Dub)
02. Basic House - Ice Pop (Little Helper Edit)
03. Best Available Technology - Sony HiFi 120 Side B City Jitters - Elevation Clip
04. Wanda Group - A13 OBSERVER
05. Ñenado - Slightly Closed Eyes
06. Lumigraph - Lunar Luup
07. Cloudface - Acid Fades
08. Huerco S. - 4 DILLA (MAKE EM NV)
09. Boya - Furrow
10. Visitation White - Fucking Magic
11. Tuff Sherm & PMM - Raymond Sees The Dog
12. IVVVO - Rave 2 Die
13. Feloneezy - ////////////
Opal Tapes released Cold Holiday on December 17th, 2012.