Due out on Mule Musiq, Terre Thaemlitz's new mix is a response to Japan's archaic "fuzoku" laws.
DJ Sprinkles will release a mix CD, Where Dancefloors Stand Still, in March.
The mix is intended to be a response to Japan's "fuzoku" laws, which place restrictions on people dancing in nightclubs and sees a 1:00 AM curfew regularly enforced across the country. Although the legislation has been in place since 1948, recently Japanese authorities have implemented the restrictions with extra zeal. Born and raised in the US, Thaemlitz moved to Japan in 2001 and has lived there ever since. As Terre Thaemlitz and under other aliases such as Kami-Sakunobe House Explosion (K-S.H.E) and DJ Sprinkles, the producer has explored deep house, ambient and experimental music.
Where Dancefloors Stand Still will see release on Tokyo's Mule Musiq, the same label that released the acclaimed Midtown 120 Blues LP, which was voted RA's number one album of 2009. The mix's tracklist reveals a selection of classic deep house from the likes of Braxton Holmes, Fingers Inc and Sound Mechanix mixed with more contemporary fare from Alex Danilov and MyMy. A press release claims that Where Dancefloors Stand Still "transforms dancing into a ritual in which dancers do rhythmic body painting that amalgamates the individual identity into a collective". Having written and lectured extensively on gender and social issues, Thaemlitz is known to mix music and politics.
In addition to the 14-track CD, a 2x12-inch vinyl sampler with nine tracks will also be released. Where Dancefloors Stand Still will be the first major offering from Thaemlitz since last year's exhaustive Soulnessless release, which was described as the world's first "full-length mp3 album" and contained more than 30 hours of music and video.
01. Braxton Holmes - 12 Inches Of Pleasure (Ron's Foreplay)
02. Alex Danilov - Deep S
03. Sound Mechanix - I Can't Forget
04. The Rhythm Slaves - The Light You Will See (Trentemoller's Deep Dub Mix)
05. Lectroluv - If We Try (Ambient Dub)
06. Manoo & François A - The Deep
07. Classic Man - Rapid Winds (75 MPH Mix)
08. Understars - Forestfunk I (No Damkkb Mix)
09. Gene Farris - Good Feeling
10. The Rude Awakening - The Dip (5AM Dipsco Mix)
11. MyMy - Everybody's Talkin' (Original Mix)
12. Choo-ables - Hard To Get (BT's Massive Groove)
13. Fingers Inc. - Never No More Lonely
14. Keys & Tronics Ensemble - Calypso Of House (Paradise Version)
Mule Musiq will release DJ Sprinles's Where Dancefloors Stand Still in March 25th, 2013.