Here's our rundown of the best parties to check if you're making the pilgrimage to Detroit.
Every year, Movement combines Motor City talent with a huge group of big international names for a three-day Memorial Day weekend blowout at Hart Plaza. But as anyone who's been before knows, the real Movement experience is as much about the many afterparties that spring up around the festival proper.
"Afterparties" not might even be the right term—you're spoiled for choice from Friday night onwards. And from there, the options you have on Saturday, Sunday and even Monday nights are overwhelming. Considering that many of these events sell tickets in advance (and sell out), it's wise to plan ahead. We've done a lot of the hard work for you and trawled through the listings for some of the weekend's best events.
As usual, plenty of venues will be open for techno-related activities on Friday night, teasing eager locals and early arrivals into action before the festival kicks off the next afternoon. The Works begins its long weekend with a showcase of Ali Wells' Perc Trax imprint, hosted jointly with Oktave and Prosthetic Pressings. Perc himself, along with Mike Parker, Rrose and Jeff Derringer, all feature on the official Movement opening event's three-room bill. Another official event at Bleu, Desolatismus, will feature much-loved Desolat artists Martin Buttrich and Guti.
The crew from Chicago hotspot Smart Bar will return to TV Lounge for another opening night bash and BBQ that starts at 8 PM (get there early if you're hungry). Cassy and Derek Plaslaiko are the evening's special guests, while a grip of residents and regulars representing both Smart Bar and TV Lounge, including Nate Manic and Aran Daniels, will DJ as well. A WT Records party at Donovan's Pub has Entro Senestre and Beau Wanzer lined up among others. L!V will be House Headquarters for the weekend, and Friday sees DJ Godfather, Dj Disc and more taking turns on the decks.
If you're looking for a free, day-long jam, Bang Tech 12 has you covered (again) with their 17th anniversary event at Bookies, starting at 3 PM. Though the lineup is still unannounced, you can expect more than 40 DJs across four rooms, including the rooftop patio. Another free party, this one 33 floors up at SkyBar & Lounge, boasts a shorter list of locals including Mike Grant and Pirahnahead, while Atnarko, Zeros and Circles and more play the [something clever] party at Northern Lights Lounge.
Should you want to get your Saturday going early—very early—head to TV Lounge, where NBFC and god particle will be having an Industry Breakfast that starts at 7 AM. That lineup features Karina from Zoo Project, Berlin-based Walker Barnard and god particle founder Sassmouth. 1701 Cigar Bar will be the setting for the San Francisco imprint Handmade Recordings' second anniversary party, an outdoor-then-indoor session running from 2 PM to 6 AM with Franklin De Costa and Monty Luke among others, and a free BBQ early on.
Whatever you do during the day, try and save some energy for a late night that could easily turn into a late morning (or afternoon). Circoloco's annual event at TV Lounge, this year dedicated to legendary composer Arthur Russell, boasts the usual glut of talent. It'll run from 10 PM to 2 PM Sunday, with Carl Craig, Lee Curtiss, D'Julz, Ryan Elliott and Rick Wilhite representing just a fraction of the two-dozen strong lineup. At St. Andrew's Hall, Chris Liebing's CLR crew will be out in force: aside from Liebing himself, label stalwarts Tommy Four Seven and Drumcell will be on hand along with Bryan Kasenic from New York's The Bunker, while Marcel Dettmann and Radio Slave, who went back-to-back at 2011's CLR Detroit event, are billed for another joint session.
The legendary Jak series is preparing for a three-room Jak Attak at City Club, with Richie Hawtin and a collection of friends and affiliates including Dubfire, Paco Osuna and Matthew Hawtin confirmed. Meanwhile, San Francisco's Dirtybird flock will take over The Fillmore as part of the Dirtybird Players tour. Four back-to-back sets are on the program, including one between Claude VonStroke and Justin Martin and another featuring Leroy Peppers (AKA Christian Martin) and Worthy.
1515 Broadway will be home to NDATL's fifth annual Deep Detroit party. Kai Alce, Kyle Hall and Norm Talley, all marked for exclusive afterparty appearances, make up the short but sweet lineup. Meanwhile, East Coast stalwart Victor Calderone and Anthony Attalla will play sets over at Bleu, while Pirahnahead and fellow locals Ataxia are billed back at L!V's House Headquarters.
For something a bit more eclectic, there's Direct Contact at the Detroit Contemporary, featuring FXHE producer and longtime DJ Big Strick and Opal Tapes outfit Traag. You can find Heavy Vibes at Donovan's Pub, whose lineup includes Rvng Intl. and Throne Of Blood duo Pink Skull. Stamina has a bass-heavy lineup at The Works with Starkey, Author (AKA Jack Sparrow and Ruckspin) and many more.
Sunday is by far the busiest night for afterparties. If you are still awake from Saturday night, Dissolute's party at Steve's Soul Food has you covered—it starts at 7 AM and goes all the way till 4 AM, with a star-studded lineup that includes Daniel Bell and Juan Atkins going head-to-head with Jesse Saunders. The same goes for Resolute's early morning party at Exodus Lounge, where you can see UK techno producer Benjamin Damage alongside Camea.
Once nighttime rolls around, there are plenty more options. Go deeper with a live set from Detroit's own Erika at 1515 Broadway, or Ghost In The Sound's for-the-heads blowout headlined by DeepChord presents Echospace at 4264 Grand River Ave. Big room techno is the theme at Bleu with Stacey Pullen and Nicole Moudaber, and Interface 42 will provide the harder stuff at The Works with Luke Slater and German rising star Rødhåd among many others.
Life and Death will take over St. Andrew's Hall with Clockwork and James Holden, while Michael Mayer (who was supposed to play Movement last year but had to cancel due to visa issues) will headline a stacked OK, Cool showcase at TV Lounge also featuring jozif and Mike Huckaby.
If none of that tickles your fancy, check the Ultimate Detroit/Chicago Experience at Fountain Bistro, where Boo Williams and Glenn Underground are among the highlights. Another strong Chicago outfit, Still Music, will host its own party at Motor City Wine, with Jerome Derradji and Basic Soul Unit. And, finally, Flying Circus and No. 19 wil team up at City Club for a night with Nina Kraviz and an extended Art Department set.
If you've got any energy left, you'll be rewarded with the Klockworks afterparty at The Works. Of course, you've got Berghain's Ben Klock, but there's also DVS1, Recondite and plenty more. Endgame Detroit has the housier option that night: local Delano Smith and Frenchman D'Julz will headline over at TV Lounge. Hot Creations will make a splash at Flat 151 with the only appearances from Jamie Jones and Lee Foss all weekend. Wondering where Seth Troxler was during the festival? He'll finally throw down at the official closing party at City Club, but get there early, because there will almost certainly be a long line for that one.
- May 24 Perc Trax Showcase: Movement Opening Night Afterparty,..
- May 24 Smart Bar/TV Lounge Movement Weekend Kickoff/BBQ: Cass..
- May 24 'Desolatismus' Official Movement Festival Opening Part..
- May 24 WT Records PRE Demf Party, Donovan's Pub
- May 24 Bang Tech 12's Seventeeth Anniversary Event, Bookies
- May 24 [something clever]: Free Movement Opening Party, North..
- May 24 Underground Spark Launch Party, Skybar & Lounge Detroit
- May 24 House Headquarters, L!V Resto | Lounge
- May 25 Circoloco/Arthur Russell AT tv bar:From 10 pm sat 25/5..
- May 25 CLR Detroit 2013: Official Movement Afterparty, St. An..
- May 25 Handmade Recordings 2 Year Anniversary, Detroit Editio..
- May 25 N D A T L Pres Deep Detroit V.5, 1515 Broadway
- May 25 JAK Attak with Richie Hawtin & Guests, City Club
- May 25 Nbfc and god Particle presents: Industry Breakfast at..
- May 25 Nightsneak & Rbma present The Dirtybird Players Tour:..
- May 25 Direct Contact, Contemporary Art Institute Of Detroit
- May 25 Movement Festival Afterparty Feat. Anthony Attalla & V..
- May 25 ((Heavy Vibes)) - Movement Afterparty, Donovan's Pub
- May 25 Stamina - The Road to Outlook, The Works
- May 26 Life and Death Detroit presented by Liaison Artists, S..
- May 26 Interface 42 - Scene 10 - Official Movement After Part..
- May 26 Dissolute presents: Dissolute: Sunday 7am - 5am: 22 Ho..
- May 26 OK, Cool. Official Movement After Party Feat. Michael..
- May 26 No Way Back at all, 1515 Broadway
- May 26 Ghost in the Sound™ - Deepchord: Echospace, Jpls (m-nu..
- May 26 Movement Festival Afterparty Feat. Stacey Pullen - Nic..
- May 26 The Ultimate Detroit/Chicago Experience, Fountain Bist..
- May 26 Still Music: Stilove4Sunday, Motor City Wine
- May 26 [POSTPONED] - Resolute Goes Detroit, TV Lounge
- May 27 Klockworks Label Night // Official Movement Afterparty..
- May 27 Hot Creations presents Auto-Matic-Dance, Flat 151
- May 27 Endgame Detroit 2013, TV Lounge
- May 27 Seth Troxler: Copiously Loose, an Encore of Sorts, Cit..