Top Five Places to Partay and Partake this veekend... coutesy of Mikey.
1) 04.oct.2001 - Freshjive & Swatch in association with Global Recordings presents S M U T @ the Prince of Wales, St Kilda $10 admission after 11pm. Come one, come all to a pimp and ho party that's gonna be bigger than yo mama. Melbourne hasn't had an eclectic homegrown lineup this strong since...duh...ever! The talented trio of Infusion are blowing it up live, ably backed up by another energetic Nubreed performance. For lovers of real estate, Angela Maison Vs Ant J Steep get all steamy on the balcony, while Phil K and EK deliver the finest in broken beats. And what the hell is going on in the toilets??? Yoiks! Disrobe and make it down to the POW for some POW...
2) 05.oct.2001 - 1200 Techniques launch of Infinite Styles EP @ the Evelyn, Fitzroy. - $8 The good word around town is that 1200 Techniques are set for Avalanches-like world domination. The trio incorporate several kitchen sinks into their hybrid of breaks, hip hop, rock, punk, rap, funk and i think you get the pic-cha. Renonwed for stopping their show, while supporting Limp Bizkit(!), and berating audience members for throwing coins at them, the 'Techniques command respect and will have the Evelyn jumping, jiving and maybe even moshing...their shit is hard as hell.
3) 05.oct.2001 - The Bandana Bonanza @ A Bar Called Barry - (164 Smith st Collingwood). Presented by the Basement Haxx and featuring the DJ talent of Docta Rupa (sonicanimation), DJ Oshi, On The Run and DJ Fatunza...all free..Here's the spiel: No Bandana, NO entry and that goes for cheesy grins as well! Cos you better be wearing one if you want to get all the dirty,
jackin', bangin' and (yes) deep tech/house/breaks that your booty can consume. Special appearance by...a PINATA for no reason in particluar other than to watch someone wearing a blindfold wildly fling a baseball bat around a packed room. The Basement Haxx encourage the-bandana-around-the-leg look a la Punky Brewster. Get yr freak on!
4) 06.oct.2001 - Subliminal sessions present Richard F @ The Prince of Wales. $20 Speaking recently to Richard F he is adamant house music is getting darker. So does this mean the end of filtered french funk? Or is it the beginning of a new era of tracks full of moody, midnight magic? Either way, Ricahrd F is coming to make sense of the whole thing by moving all feet straight to the floor. Although without the international status of Eric Morillo or Harry 'Choo Choo' Romero, Richard F is most certainly in their realm. Checkitoutyall.
5) 06.oct.2001 - Gene Farris @ Se7en Nightclub, Albert Rd, Albert Park. $25
Chicago's coolest cat is back with more fanfare this time round, and a string of vicious vinyl that is practically leaping out of his record bag. Founder of Farris Wheel Recordings, the dreadlocked deck-nician has recently put out the successful Booked compilation featuring Derrick Carter, Miguel Migs and Ian Pooley. Expect disco, with that delightful tech-house thing everyone's talking about. Get your ticket for the Farris Wheel!