The eleventh 'Choice - A Collection Of Classics' release from Azuli Records will be compiled by Kenny 'Dope' Gonzalez, one half of Masters at Work.
Most people are already aware of the 'Choice' series from Azuli Records, as it presents some of the most famous international DJs and what they consider to be their all time classic tracks. The series also allows the artists to communicate their individual and diverse musical backgrounds. Most DJs present tracks and artists that have heavily influenced and inspired them to this present day. The albums also usually feature re-edits made by the compilers and exclusive to the release. Past 'Choice' compilers include Jeff Mills, Louie Vega, Francois Kervorkian, Tony Humphries, Danny Tenaglia, X-Press 2, Frankie Knuckles and most recently Danny Howells.
Kenny 'Dope' Gonzalez (or just simply Kenny Dope) needs no introduction. Born in 1970 and raised in Brooklyn's Sunset Park, in the early eighties Kenny Dope was very much influenced by the beats and rhythms being played at local street parties. In 1990, Dope teamed up with Little 'Louie' Vega to form Masters At Work. ('Little ‘Louie Vega' compiled the Xth 'Choice' compilation). He then proceeded to evolve as a solo artist around 1995 with The Bucketheads album, and the track ‘The Bomb (These Sounds Fall Into My Mind)'. Next, he partnered with Keb Darge on the record label Kay-Dee Records, which re-issued rare classic funk records.
For his 'Choice' compilation Kenny Dope has really paid his respects to some of the most important musicians and artists ever, including James Brown, Earth Wind & Fire, Kool & The Gang, and Hokis Pokis. Kenny Dope’s flare and reputation as a ‘beat connoisseur’ holds much ground and his DJing includes house, jazz, funk, soul and broken beats. This 2-CD compilation is a very special journey and vision from one of dance music's most recognisable artists.
'Azuli Presents Kenny Dope - Choice - A Collection Of Classics' Tracklisting CD1
01. The Fantastic Aleems – Confusion
02. Earth Wind & Fire – Evil
03. Dunn Pearson – Groove on Down
04. Skye – Ain’t No Need
05. Level 42 – Starchild
06. Eddie Drennon – Do What You Gotta Do
07. Earons – Land of Hunger
08. Dayton – The Sound of Music
09. Rainbow Brown – Til You Surrender
10. Lucy Hawkins – Gotta Get Out Of Here
11. Kool & The Gang – Open Seasme
12. Norman Connors – Once I've Been There
13. The Beginning of the End – Come Down
14. Buari – Advice From Father
15. Milton Hamilton – Love Supreme
16. Serious Intention – You Don’t Know
17. Sylvester – 'I Need You'
01. Tavares – It Only Takes A Minute
02. Exodus – Together Forever
03. James Brown – I’m Satisfied
04. Manhattan Transfer – Twilight Zone
05. Atmosfear – Dancing in Outer Space
06. Dazzle – You Dazzle Me
07. Ingram – Mi Sabrina Tequana
08. Freezez – Southern Freeez
09. BT Express – sEvergy Level
10. Cameo – The Sound Table
11. Kashmere Stage Band – Super Strut (Kenny Dope Mix)
12. Hokis Pokis – Nowhere (Danny Krivit Edit)
Azuli Records will host a launch party for 'Azuli Presents Kenny Dope - Choice - A Collection Of Classics' at The Cross in London on Saturday April 15th.
'Azuli Presents Kenny Dope - Choice - A Collection Of Classics' will be released May 2, 2006.