Blackstrobe’s Ivan Smagghe and DJ Chloe capture the dark and seedy side of French clubbing on their new mix ‘Dysfunctional Family’.
Ivan Smagghe from Blackstrobe and Chloé team up for a new mix that captures the dark and seedy side of Gallic clubbing, a environment where, as their press puts it, “the blondes wear a moustache with elegance, the lady toilet attendant is a guy in miniskirt and the sweaty run down white vest is the flag of our personal revolution.”
Chloé and Ivan Smagghe are on the same record label and often spin at the same club nights abroad but the similarities don’t end there: they met each other seven years ago at Le Batofar, a floating nightclub on the Seine, and musically they have a lot in common too, both being early French converts to the German minimal sound whilst retaining that very French club-punk attitude in their approach to electro. Take a look at their titles: Kill the DJ, I Hate Dancing, Suck My Deck… From that lot Anglos would expect mohawks and spittle, but it's a French thing so what would we know? And it’s not all sneers and slogans. There’s an underlying musical integrity to the project: the pair are magpies as DJs and as expected they’ve unearthed a bevy of previously unheard electro techno cuts for the compilation. Er, vive la revolution.
01. Planningtorock ‘Death Dream’
02. Dapayk ‘Close Your Eyes’
03. Enik ‘Why Do You Love Me’ (Broke Mix)
04. 2000 and One ‘Get Down’ (Shinedoe Remix)
05. Egoexpress – ‘Fool Of The New City’
06. Musiccargo – ‘One Way Ticket’
07. Jason Edwards – ‘Codeine’
08. Botox – ‘Hummer Party’
09. Louderbach ‘Grace (Anxiety)’
10. Wighnomy Bros. – ‘Wombat’
11. Water Lilly ‘Dissidence’ (T.Anderson Rmx)
12. Remo T ‘Teaser’
13. Point B ‘After Bums’
14. Billy Childish & Holly Golightly ‘Let Me Know You’
‘The Dysfunctional Family’ mixed by Ivan Smagghe and Chloe is out on Kill the DJ now.