Grooverider began his rise to fame in the mid 80’s. He plays host to ‘1 in the Jungle’, Radio 1’s time slot for Grooverider as well as runs the Prototype label, home to artist such as Trace, Ed Rush, Optical, Fierce and his production alias, Codename John. Influenced by all types of music, predominantly reggae, hip hop, r n b, funk and disco, he turns his attention to the drum and bass side of his repertoire for 6th installment of the Fabriclive series.
The mix is a mean fusion of fast paced beats and vicious baselines. Ed Rush’s “Alien Girl” being the first such example. “What I Need” by Special Forces highlights the funkier edge of drum and bass. “The Pulse” by DEI3C merges a subtle piano line with quirky stabbing synths and we enter the electro arena with the VIP mix of Digital’s “Deadline”. The funky baseline of “Kloakin’ King” drum and bass legend Krust is a killer record late in the mix as “Wasteground” by Calyx ends the mix of in a fantastic manner, using a dirty electro melody in the process.
Drum and Bass fans definitely need to check this out. The pace is relentless, the baselines in full effect. If a drum and bass with a funky and tough electro edge is your kind of music then it would be well worth to give this a listen at your local record store.
Tracklist: Grooverider - FabricLive.0601. Peshay - Got Me Burning - Cubik
02. Ed Rush/Optical/Fierce - Alien Girl - Prototype
03. Danny C - The Mexican - Portica
04. Mampi Swift - Rebirth - Charge
05. Special Forces - What I Need - Photek/SRD
06. Total Science - Hotspot - Timeless
07. Twisted Individual - Bitch Muzzle - Formation
08. Ed Rush - Subway - Prototype
09. Origin Unknown - Truly One - Ram
10. DJ SS - The Lighter - Formation
11. Bad Company - The Pulse - Prototype
12. Optimus Prime - Amen Slag - Inflicted
13. Digital - Deadline - Timeless
14. Dillinja - Ain't Too Loud - Valve
15. Influx Datum - Back For More - Formation
16. Ram Trilogy - Milky Way - Ram
17. Krust - Kloakin' King - Bucks/Full Cycle
18. Calyx - Wasteground - Moving Shadow