Miguel Lopez Mora is the musician, producer and video artist that is hidden behind the DIGITAL 21 pseudonym.
He started in 1988 as the pioneer in the Spanish electronic music scene by combining machines with instruments (such as guitars, bass, synthesizers, theremin, drums, sitar, etc.) with video art.
As a multi instrumentalist musician he has composed, arranged and played every instrument of his albums. As a video artist he has made video art live acts!, video creations for their performances and directed music videos. All this being true to his artistic concept of full independence and constantly evolving.
In 2010 and 2012 and 2017 he was nominated a finalist in the Music Awards in Spain. Besides awards and mentions by magazines, radios (such as Radio 3) and other media.
In his 25 years career he has toured Spain, Germany, Belgium, Morocco, Hungary, Mexico, U.S.A., China, etc.
DIGITAL 21 + STEFAN OLSDAL (2017)
Currently he has formed a new band / duo: "DIGITAL 21 + STEFAN OLSDAL'' where together with Stefan Olsdal (PLACEBO) have created a hybrid of electronic music with a string cuartet, club sounds, live instruments, etc. Live music is accompanied with video art created by Digital 21 in different formats for different areas, from festivals to theatres or museums. They have already released songs like '' War", "Rebellion" (Remixed by Dave Clarke), "Symmetry" (Feat. "Cuushe" from Japan) or "Spaces" Featuring Margrét Rán (From the Icelandic band Vök). And they are recording and plan to release the album along with more live performances (accompanied by a string quartet), in 2017...
Digital 21 Vs Ana Curra (2011)
In his fifth Lp Miguel mixes all their instruments with classical piano played by Ana Curra. They have performed live in theaters and also in the premiere of Ultra Festival in Miami.
He has performed at festivals such as: SZIGET FESTIVAL (Budapest), INTRO (Beijing), Sónar, Klubbers, Actual, Sonorama, Contempopranea, SantiRock, Ecopop, Universimad, FIB (Benicassim), GOA, FIMA (International Festival of Advanced Music), ULTRA (Miami), White Night (Washington), SFS Festival (Mexico D.F.) and many others.
And now with Digital 21 + Stefan Olsdal (Live Band!): POHODA FESTIVAL (Slovakia), SONORAMA FESTIVAL (Spain)...
Not only he has played in electronic festivals, but also in museums as: GUGGENHEIM, Contemporary Art Museum (MUSAC), Patio Herreriano Contemporary Art Museum, Museum of Fine Arts (Budapest), MACBA, Cervantes Institute in Fez (Morocco), Culture and Art Institute in Mexico D.F. World Trade Center, MUA, MACBA, Cervantes Institute in Beijing, Shanghai, etc.
Recently he collaborated with UCM choir, in a theater in the "International Day of the Book", mixing classical choir music with electronic music.
Through the years he has filmed countless classic or contemporary ballet dancers USA, China, and the Spanish National Ballet for his video art. DIGITAL 21 has been claimed by the American ballet company "Company I e" to compose and play the music for his new show of contemporary dance at the Lansburgh Theatre at the Harman Center For The Arts in Washington (U.S.A.).
He has also composed and produced the music for the choreography of the American dancer Jason G. based on a poem by Federico García Lorca,''The little mute boy’’, who is touring now.
Along his career, many artists have required the services of DIGITAL 21 as a composer, arranger, musician, producer, ...
- Paul Schroeder (producer of Stone Roses, The Verve, etc. ) or Mike Marsh (mastering engineer of the most iconic albums of electronic music) .
- Fangoria, who asked him to sing on a Mexico’s tour. Also with Aviador Dro in Madrid.
- Vive la Fête who called him to be his guest artist at the premier gig of his last album in Madrid.
- Invisible Limits, who invited him to sing their version of Joy Division in their last concert.
- OUTSIDER (the fourth lp of his discography) with the collaboration with artists such as Stefan Olsdal (Placebo), Dave Tarrida (Tresor, Germany), Miki Craven (Tresor), etc.
His collaborations and works with other artists are a constant throughout his career.
In the audiovisual field, his work starts in 1990 with the creation of his first piece of video art,
since then he has written, directed and edited all his visual works. Besides giving a conference of video art and Master Class for years, DIGITAL 21 has a "VIDEO ART LIVE ACT!" which combines experimental music with video art. A live performed in museums such as Guggenheim, theaters and also as closing his video art conferences.
In this field he has collaborated with artists such as the painter and photographer Ouka Leele or classical dancers of the National Ballet.
He has realized video art works like: “Triste”(2009) which had his premier in the 29 International Contemporary Art Fair of Spain 2010 (ARCO), with a Live Act! during ‘’Atmósfera’’, an experimental electronic music radio program (Radio 3). Triste was also in the Málaga Spanish Cinema Festival and has the second audience award in the Madrid Video Art Festival 2010 (Madatac).
He has made several video installations that has led on tours like in 1999-2002 when with 9 tvs and his own video creations made an audiovisual show for festivals like FIB, Santirock, Sonorama, etc... And in concert halls such as Riviera and Razzmataz. Years later that assembly has been recreated in some museums and theaters.
DIGITAL 21 has also done work for radio, television and cinema (ads / promos for the Fox channel, different musics for tv campaigns, music for programs such as Metrópolis of TVE, DGT campaign, jingles for Radio 3, etc).
In addition to teaching video art, Ableton Live or making videoclips for years in Artenet (School of Arts and Technology in Madrid), and The Author’s Foundation, he has been claimed by universities such as Valencia, Alicante, Málaga ... and other parts of the world like China or U.S.A., to teach electronic music or video art Master Class.
DJ LIVE ACT!
DIGITAL 21 develops the club sound in his ELECTRONIC LIVE ACT!, live in which he plays instruments like synthesizers, theremin, samplers, voice, fxs,… etc. Focused on the dance floor and electronic clubs. With this live he has toured clubs worldwide. This is one of the reasons why he joined a German booking where he shared team with Dj Hell or Make the Girl Dance. He was also called from the German label Datapunk Records to make the official remix of the single '' Mother'' by Anthony Rother''.
DIGITAL 21 is together with Daft Punk, NIN, Richie Hawtin, Mogwai, Sasha, and Hot Chip, one of the artists worldwide of Ableton Live.
Currently, DIGITAL 21 is the resident and/or promoter of several clubs in Madrid: ‘’LET'S DANCE CLUB’’, ‘’INDIE DISCO CLUB’’, ‘’ARCADIA’’, ‘’S.E.C.R.E.T’’ and ‘’FRIDAY’’ in venues as Siroco, Mind the Gap, Charada, etc.
DIFFERENT LIVE PROJECTS
Currently he has 3 different live performances:
- DIGITAL 21 + STEFAN OLSDAL (+STRING QUARTET) IN CONCERT (Festivals, concert halls, etc.).
- DIGITAL 21 DJ ELECTRONIC LIVE ACT! (Electronic clubs and festivals).
- DIGITAL 21 VIDEOART LIVE ACT! experimental music with video art (museums).
He has made conferences worldwide. The CAFA (Central Academy of Fine Arts) in Beijing, Sónar Festival, University of Málaga, Faculty of Fine Arts in Valencia, University of Alicante, Cervantes Institute in Beijing or the French Embassy in U.S.A. are just a few examples.
He currently teaches three conferences:
- “VIDEO ART: THE AUDIOVISUAL FREEDOM.”
- "THE ARTIST IN THE NEW MILLENNIUM: THE RETURN OF DO IT YOURSELF."
- “VIDEO CLIP: FROM PROMOTION TO EMOTION”.
- Siglo XXI (Radio 3): "This genius of electronic music now surprises us with a double disc "Outsider ", with collaborations from real treat. Fireproof and multifaceted. He is a musician, composer, producer and director of music videos. From the conception of the idea to the arrangements. His live shows are a veritable storm of electric shock. "
- Tendencias: ‘’The best national electronic music.’’
- Hipersonica.com: ‘’It’s a multidisciplinary artist who no longer exist, the Leonardo Da Vinci of the electronic age.’’
- TVE2 / Los conciertos de Radio 3: "Pioneer in Spain of the symbiosis between electronic and guitars from the '90s, a title that now validates with his last job."
- Mondo Sonoro: "Miguel is the Genius: Digital 21."
- Rock Zone: "A Spanish genius that produces, composes, writes and plays all gadgets
possible in each of his songs. The perfect mixture between electronic and rock music."
- HEXAGRAMA (National Radio: Radio 3): “...intense; you touch us!”
In his records, he produces and plays all the instruments (sitar, theremin, vocals, guitars, analog synthesizers, ukelele, bass, drums, etc.).
1. The Sound Station (Roadrunner Records, 2000).
2. Espacio Infinito (V2 Records, 2005).
3. Nuclear (Junk Records, 2007).
4. Outsider (Double album, Algoenblanco Records, 2010).
5. Digital 21 vs. Ana Curra (PIAS Records, 2012).
6. DIGITAL 21 + STEFAN OLSDAL (Kobalt, 2017).