An artist whose roots lie half in Nigeria represents today for what we understand as House: PERCUSSIONS, DRIFTY HYPNOTIC BEATS, WITH A TOUCH OF SOUL AND IF THE ATMOSPHERE ALLOWS MARVELOUSLY DEEP...
Ray Okpara Biography
An artist whose roots lie half in Nigeria represents today for what we understand as House. Percussions, drifty hypnotic beats, a touch of soul and marvellously deep. House is a feeling and Ray Okpara has his finger firmly on the pulse...
The first thing that strikes you about Ray Okpara is that he's an overwhelmingly nice guy with what seems like time for everybody but behind the big smile and wiley dreads is one of house music's most serious producer/djs.
Despite coming to prominence during the media's 2008 obsession with Frankfurt/Mannheim via releases on Cecille, Oslo, Get Physical and Area Remote, Okpara has been instrumental in Germany's flourishing house scene for well over a decade. Initially taking to the decks
to play his close friend Johnny D's UK Garage records in the mid-90's, Okpara quickly found his groove and by the time the pair started their RAJO club night a fervent dedication to all things house engulfed the young Nigerian. In 2001 Nick Curly joined the team and the night began it's residency at The Loft in Mannheim – becoming the seed what has since become one of the strongest house music family trees in Europe.
As with most Djs, the production itch had to be scratched but, unlike most, Okpara's initial efforts betrayed an innate talent for the craft. Lomidhigh Ltd, Drumpoet Community and Arearemote are a enviable bunch to count as early adopters for any budding producer and this start made just strengthened Ray's resolve. Rejoining his tight knit group of friends, now running the Oslo, Deep Vibes, Cecille and 8-Bit imprints, after a four year relocation to Berlin in 2005, Ray's reputation was cemented and the rest is history.
Now based back in Berlin with a heavy touring schedule as a DJ and a dedicated live artist, Okpara continues to go from strength to strength. His Ama label rolls out consistently quality output in an unhurried manner while his own productions continue to hit home for crowds, critics and record buyers alike. As well as ongoing relationships forged in his Mannheim days, affiliations with Oslo and Mobilee are being nurtured and with many more projects still to be unveiled 2012 and beyond is looking pretty rosy for the cheery guy.
KEEP SMILING WITH HOUSE MUSIC...
Ama Recordings is Ray Okpara’s label out of Mannheim, Germany. Amaefule, Ray’s middle name in fact, literally means “your name will never get lost” and it symbolizes the strength of identity we create through music. Ama is also derived from the Latin meaning of love and the philosophy of the label is born out of the affection held for conceiving and sharing quality electronic music. There are no rules about what Ama Recordings will sound like, but it comes from the heart, so expect true house values to be maintained at all times with a natural tipp towards the deep and dubby.
Selected discography Ray Okpara
Ray Okpara Discography
Productions / Releases
• Ray Okpara & Nekes – Soul Chant – Steve Lawlers Viva Music Compilation (2012)
• Ray Okpara & Nekes – Go – Federico Molinaris Oslo Compilation (2012)
• Ray Okpara – Blues Me Blues EP – Mobilee 088 - 12" (2011)
• Ray Okpara – Epos EP – Ama Recordings 005 - 12" (2011)
• Ray Okpara – Booty EP – Mobilee 076 - 12" (2011)
• Ray Okpara – Around The Cong – 5 Years Compilation - 8Bit Records - 12" (2011)
• Ray Okpara & Mobius Sturm – It ́s Down The Block EP – Half Seas Over 002 - Digital (2011)
• Ray Okpara – La Peña 007 - 12" (2010)
• Ray Okpara – Ruled By The Tides EP - Deepvibes Recordings 013 - 12" (2010)
• Ray Okpara – Ngozi – Don t́ Believe The Hype Compilation - Oslo Records 016 - 12" (2010)
• Ray Okpara – Brainows EP – Soweso 004 - 12" (2010)
• Ray Okpara – Tru Crowd – Area Remote 016 (2009)
• Ray Okpara – Ebele - Cecille Records 011 - 12" (2009)
• Ray Okpara – Brothers - Oslo Records 012 - 12" (2009)
• Ray Okpara - Frozen On Yellow Ice - Area Remote 006 - 12" (2008)
• Ray Okpara – Swimming to the Moon - Drumpoet Community DPC018 - 12" (2008)
• Ray Okpara – Fumnaya Remixed – LoMidHigh 015 - 12" (Remixes by Sascha Dive, Nekes, Fuzion, Seuil)
• Ray Okpara - Fumnaya - LoMidHigh Lmtd 011 - 12" (2008)
• Ray Okpara – K For Kebek - Diplomatik DPLDIG 001 - Digital (2008)
• Ray Okpara - 07:49 Sundaytalk - Pentagonik PNTG 022 - Digital (2008)
• Ray Okpara & Demir - Dripslip - Pentagonik - PNTG 016 - Digital (2007)
• Ray Okpara - Talkin ́Bazzn - Amusedrecords - AMR 007 - 12" (2007)
Remixes & Edits by Ray Okpara
• Marko Nastic - Turnover (Ray Okpara Rmx) - Sake Vinyl Only (NOT YET RELEASED)
• Trancesetters - The Search (Ray Okpara & Mobius Strum Rmx) - Kling Klong (NOT YET RELEASED)
• Kindimmer - Jack It (Ray Okpara Dubcid Rmx) - Diaphan (2012)
• Anja Schneider ft Kiki - Little Creatures (Ray Okpara Acid Partadise Rmx) - Mobilee094 (2012)
• Paul C & Paolo Martini - Turn On (Ray Okpara Rmx) - Ama Recordings 008 (2012)
• Rick Sanders - Queen (Ray Okpara & Mobius Strum Rmx) - Smiley Faces (2012)
• Maik Loewen - Middle Of Nowhere (Ray Okpara Moodymood Rmx) - NIV010 (2012)
• The Sushi Club - Scopia (Ray Okpara Rmx) - 4MPO Records (2011)
• Markus Homm - Summit (Ray Okpara Sphericdeep Rmx) - Kiara Records (2011)
• N-Zino & Frank! - Low Latency (Ray Okpara Go Straight Remix) - Pauls Boutique (2011)
• Sierra Sam - Talonkikit (Ray Okpara Deeptool Rmx) - Dame Music 005 (2011)
• Mobius Sturm & Ray Okpara – Chew The Bag (Ray Okpara Rmx) – Half Seas Over 002 (2011)
• Paul C. – Tempo (Ray Okpara Edit) – Polar Noise 023 (2010)
• Luna City Express – Colours Of Life (Ray Okpara rmx) - Moon Harbour 12" (2010)
• Ronan Portela – Piumino (Ray Okpara) – Founds Sound Records 021 (2009)
• Andre Crom & Luca Doobie – Ebony (Ray Okpara) – Off Recordings 006 (2009)
• Gorge & Andre Hommen - Hakunyo (Ray Okpara rmx) - Plastic City Records 078 - 12" (2009)
• Lauhaus – Give It Up (Ray Okparalysed It [Edit]) – Remote Area 018 (2009)
• Christian Burkhardt – Leg Back (Ray Okpara) – Oslo Special (2009)
• Rio Padice – Road To Alberqueque (Ray Okpara) - Metroline Records 015 (2009)
• Mirus - Delirious (Ray Okpara) – Indigo Raw 004 (2008)
• Console - Alcorhythm (Ray Okpara) - Diplomatik DPLNET006 (2008)
• Johnny D. – Tramodyssee (Ray Okpara) - Oslo 006 (2008)
• Italoboyz - Zinga (Ray Okpara) - Get Physical Music (2008)
• Johnny D. - Walkman (Ray Okpara) - 8Bit 006 (2007)
• Monsular – Welcome (Ray Okpara) – Diplomatik (2007)