A three disc compilation is set for release later this month with mixes from Justin Martin and more.
With a tracklisting that stretches from Danish producer James Braun, to Great Stuff regular Lutzenkirchen, right through to electrohouse pin up Armand Van Helden, to say the release is diverse is an understatement.
We fired a few questions off to San Fransisco native, and disc one selector Justin Martin, who talked us through the mix, Fake Blood and his forthcoming productions.
You've just compiled a disc for Ministry of Sound's Underground mix. Can you take us through the process? When and how did you put the mix together?Tracklist
I actually put the mix together while on the We Love Sounds tour through Australia a few weeks ago. I mixed it on my laptop using Ableton Live. I had only a small window of down time between gigs during the week, so I pretty much worked around the clock for a few days straight. When it comes to putting together mixes, I am a bit of a freak. I treat the mix as though it is one big track, and pretty much chop up and build the tracks together from beginning to end.
You've included quite a variety of artists, ranging from well-established producers, right down through to the lesser-known names. Is this the way you've always approached you mixes, or do you compile on the basis on what tracks you're feeling at that point in time?
Well, for mixes I always try and find some tracks that have some depth to them so you don't get sick of listening to them after the first few times - and, it's always going to be music that I'm feeling. A good track is a good track, regardless of how well known the producer may be, or what genre the track may fit into.
Interestingly, you've included Fake Blood's Mars; a track that, amongst the others, stands out. Tell us about it.
I really just like the bassline on this track and it kills on the dance floor every time... I really struggled with whether or not to include this track on the mix, because it is a bit heavy. However, I really wanted this particular mix to be a true representation of what I'm playing at the moment in my DJ sets; I did my own little re-edit of it, because there are parts of the original that I, personally, can live without.
You were recently in Australia, playing a few festival and club shows-how did they go?
Awesome! Sydney was my favorite this time around, but I always have fun in Australia!
What's been happening in Dirtybird land, lately? Is there anything on the horizon that you'd like to tell us about?
I am finishing a track with Claude VonStroke at the moment, and I have a whole bunch of singles that just need a little more studio time to complete. It's been difficult getting into the studio this year because of my gig schedule, but I am really looking forward to taking august off, locking myself in the studio, and finishing all the fun projects I have started here and there over the last six months. But keep your eye on the label because there is a lot of really exciting music coming out in the next few months!
Also, we have to ask; back in 2007 you told us that the US dance music scene was lacking. Have times changed?
Actually, I think that things have changed a little for the better. I just had three amazing US gigs this last week in Denver, Miami and New York. I have always felt that the scene in San Francisco was strong, but it was so refreshing to feel the same positive vibes and energized dance floors in other US cities as well.
Disc One - Justin Martin
01. The Martin Brothers - The Capacitron
02. James Braun - Lessons Part 1
03. Matthias Tanzmann - Kutaisi
04. Cruz - Tanquito
05. Michael Melchner - You Understand
06. Mike Monday - I Am Plankton (Pezzner Mix 20)
07. Harrison Crump - Gone (Bingo Players Remix)
08. Tim Green - Kich In
09. Zombie Disco Squad - Vie!
10. Zombie Disco Squad - The Dance
11. Maetrik - Show Me
12a. Laidback Luke - Generation Noise (Afrojack Remix - Riva Starr Re-Chunk)
12b. Justin Martin - My Angelic Demons (Riva Starr Re-Chunk)
13. Blatta & Inesha feat. Ask - Blow Up (Hijack Remix)
14. Fake Blood - Mars
15. Style Of Eye - Retur 2
16. Hatzler - Shore
17. D.H.S - House Of God (Phonique Remix)
18. Click Box - Voxer
19. James Braun - Symphonia
20. Claude VonStroke - Storm On Lake Saint Claire
Disc Two - Klaus Hill
01. Dance Area - AA 24 7 (Noob Remix)
02. Wolfgang Gartner - The Grey Agenda
03. Chase & Status ft. Kano - Against All Odds (Dave Spoon Remix)
04. Adam Shaw - Engage
05. Renaissance Man - Spraycan
06. Afrojack - Do My Dance (Sidney Samson Remix)
07. Big Dope P - Chinagora Bloxxx Bounce (Oliver $ Remix)
08. Armand Van Helden - Illin N Fillin It (Jamie Fanatic Doo Doo Mix)
09. Bumblebeez - Rio (Boy 8-Bit Remix)
10. Santiago & Bushido - All That I Can Say
11. FUKKK OFFF - Rave Is King (Zodiac Cartel Remix)
12. Dizzee Rascal & Armand Van Helden - Bonkers (Club Mix)
13. Klaus Hill - Ghetto Tek
14. Jesse Rose - Touch My Horn (Crookers Remix)
15. rackNruin - Skitzo VIP
16. Dada Life - Happy Hands & Happy Feet (Alex Gopher Remix)
17. Diplo & Laidback Luke - Hey! (Original)
18. Roots Manuva - Do Nah Bodda Mi (Red Light Remix)
19. Foamo - Wardance
20. Last Japan - Oi!
21. Bloody Beetroots feat. Steve Aoki - Warp 1.7
22. Does It Offend You, Yeah? - Being Bad Feels Pretty Good (Klaus Hill Remix)
Disc Three - Style of Eye
01. Style of Eye - Entro
02. Luca Lozano - It's Wild Out
03. Piemont - Bumping In The Air
04. Style of Eye - Road Race
05a. Alex Celler - La Palma
05b. Style Of Eye - Grounded (Acapella)
06. L-tzenkirchen - Foxy
07. V V Brown - LEAVE! (Style Of Eye Remix)
08. Lily Allen - Not Fair (Style Of Eye Remix)
09. Mark Broom - Meltin Pot
10. Skylark - Krakatoa (Joel Mull Moodswing Remix)
11. Heckmann - Silverscreen (Butch-s Special K Remix)
12. Deepgroove & Jamie Anderson - Juggernaut
13. Fake Blood - Mars (Style Of Eye Remix)
14. Empire Of The Sun - We Are The People (Style Of Eye Remix)
15. Popof - Serenity (Noob Remix)
16. Julian Jeweil - Marjo And Linda
17. Andr- Winter - Trauma
18. Style Of Eye - Grounded
Ministry of Sound will release Underground 2009 on July 17th