Larry Heard, Atjazz and Beanfield guest on the house pioneer's double-disc album.
Known by many as the voice in Fingers Inc. cuts like "Can You Feel It," Owens is is one of dance music's most celebrated vocalists—Mixmag even called him "the voice of house music." He's put out upwards of 50 records over the course of his nearly two-decade career, and since 2007 he's been a familiar face on Compost Records. Like most of his records, the simply titled Art shows Owens singing over beats by a crew of guest producers, including longtime collaborator Larry Heard, English producer Atjazz and Compost mainstays SHOW-B and Beanfield.
Naturally, Owens has always been a staunch supporter of vocal house, and from his perspective 2010 is an especially good time to be releasing vocal heavy tracks. "Everywhere I'm playing, the vocal stuff stands out the strongest," he says. "Things go around in circles, they went through this whole instrumental layered thing, minimal and all of that, but a lot of that was mainly drug fueled, people didn't care. All they wanted to hear was THE BEAT. But we're coming back around sensibility and I'm feeling that people getting their lives back together. When they go out they wanna hear somebody talking to them, about something constructive. Especially in anonymous times of Facebook, Twitter et cetera, the people want emotion and devotion."
01. Pipe Dreams feat. Larry Heard
02. Black Diamond feat. Larry Heard
03. One Love feat. Atjazz
04. Hearts and Soul feat. Atjazz
05. Reach Inside feat. Atjazz
06. Wonderful feat. Atjazz
07. Counting Blessings feat. Larry Heard
08. Art feat. Larry Heard
09. Sacrifice feat. Larry Heard
10. Same Old Thing feat. Larry Heard
01. Rise feat. Show-B
02. Unique feat. Beanfield
03. Be Your Own Hero feat. Larry Heard
04. Ancestral History feat. Larry Heard
05. It Takes Me High feat. Beanfield
06. Exhale and Breath feat. Show-B
07. Step Inside the Moment feat. Larry Heard
08. Moments feat. Atjazz
09. Cherish Your Love feat. Atjazz
Compost Recordings will release Robert Owens' Art on October 8th, 2010.