The UK synth addict helms the first edition of Artist Portraits.
The basic idea of Artist Portraits is to delve deeply into an artist's style with a release that's part mix CD, part "Best of..." compilation. In Playford's case, that can only mean one thing: synths, and lots of them. "The early synth artists Jean Michel Jarre, Giorgio Moroder, Herbie Hancock and Paul Hardcastle have shaped me—they have so much more feeling and harmonics," he says. "The main basis of my sound in the studio is inspired by '80s synths. I have owned over 30 in my time and I've had this obsession since I was around five years old!"
The first half of the collection focuses entirely on Playford's own productions, by himself and with Tom Gray as Weird Police. All of the tracks are previously unreleased, but are drawn from the past six years of Playford's work in the studio. The second half is a mix that highlights peers of Playford, like Paul Woolford and Tim Deluxe, plus a few his as-yet unreleased remixes for Mutiny, Joe Morris and Luca C Brigante.
01. Weirdo Police - Evidence
02. Weirdo Police feat. Talvin Singh - Kung Fu
03. Weirdo Police - Alfredo
04. Weirdo Police feat. Danielle Moore – Can’t Reach
05. Mat Playford – That Experience
06. Mat Playford - Transmoog
07. Weirdo Police - Luca
08. Weirdo Police featuring Shelly Poole – Pretty Thing
09. Weirdo Police – Barbican
10. Weirdo Police - Missed Wish (Mat Playford's Last Meteor Mix)
11. Ford Inc. - Delirium
12. Salt City Orchestra - Downtime
13. Luca C Brigante and Ali Love - Different Morals (Mat Playford Super Moon Rework)
14. Joe Morris - Velocity Heights
15. Kerri Chandler & Christopher McCray - Heaven (Phil Asher's Restless Soul Dub)
16. Pariah - Prism
17. Mutiny - Deep Blue / Mason feat Roisin Murphy - Bodecia (Acapella)
18. Onionz - Chasing Death
19. Mat Playford and Tim Deluxe - Back 2 The Rocket
20. Mat Playford - Analogue Tear / Salt City Orchestra - The Book (Acapella)
21. Tim Deluxe - Face The Music
We Love Music will release We Love… Artist Portraits 01: Mat Playford on July 18th, 2011.