The fan-to-fan exchange aims to eliminate touting and provide a secure way for music lovers to buy unwanted tickets to sold-out events.
The service is an industry first, and comes at a time when the ticket market is an international talking point. (A recent UK parliamentary report recommended self-regulation in an industry plagued by secondary ticketing companies and touts profiting at the expense of customers.) RA's resale service is a step towards a system that's fairer for promoters and genuine music fans.
The service allows people to get their money back to a sold-out show if they can no longer attend—it also ensures their ticket is sold to another genuine fan. Providing the event is sold out, ticket holders who are unable to attend can put their ticket in a resale pot. The service aims to eradicate the circulation of fraudulent tickets and prevent touts profiting from in-demand shows, with tickets sold at cost price.
Promoters, meanwhile, can prevent touts from profiting from their events and increase the number of ticket buyers that make it to their party. Queue times and issues on the door are also likely to decrease, with less fraudulent tickets in circulation.
How it works:
- A customer decides they no longer need one or more of the tickets they purchased, and puts tickets into the resale pool.
- If the event sells out, the ticket resale queue will become active, selling on a first in, first out, basis.
- Users can change their mind at any time, deciding to keep a ticket after it’s been added to the resale queue. (As long as it hasn't already been resold.)
- Once resold, the original ticket is cancelled and that customer is notified and refunded.
- The new customer receives a new ticket as normal.
- The resold ticket will be available at the final tier price. For example, if a $10 ticket is being re-listed, but the last available ticket was $20, then the purchase price will be $20. The original ticket holder benefits from a full face value refund on the tickets, while the promoter benefits from the additional revenue.
The resale service is now up and running on RA. For any users who want to use the service, you can do so via your order history.