The label charts its history with a two-disc effort featuring the likes of Radiohead, Wiley and The Prodigy.
The compilation charts the 25-year history of XL, the London-based operation that sits among a small coterie of independent labels to have consistently broken into the pop charts. Plenty of the label's best-known names feature on Pay Close Attention, including The Prodigy, Dizzee Rascal, Wiley, Gil Scott-Heron, Radiohead, Bobby Womack, SBTRKT, M.I.A. and Adele.
The compilation gets its title from a Kool Keith sample on The Prodigy's 1992 classic "Out Of Space." It's a line that XL founder Richard Russell says "set the blueprint" for the label's ethos. "XL Recordings is a collaborative endeavour, and many people have contributed to its evolution," Russell says. "Part 1 of this compilation are the roots of XL; underground music, made for DJs. These roots are still growing. Part 2 features some of the singular talents who have taken the label further than we ever envisioned. There is no unifying genre; hopefully the thread of originality is evident though."
It will be released as a four-LP vinyl boxset that includes a DVD and poster, as well as two-disc CD and digital formats. A Pay Close Attention website has also been launched, with plenty of audio, interviews and footage to explore.
01. SL2 - DJs Take Control
02. The Prodigy - Out Of Space
03. Awesome 3 - Don’t Go (Kicks Like A Mule Mix)
04. Liquid - Sweet Harmony
05. Jonny L - Piper
06. Roy Davis Jr. featuring Peven Everett - Gabriel (Live Garage Version)
07. Dem 2 - Destiny
08. Nu-Birth - Anytime
09. Basement Jaxx - Jump N’Shout
10. Dizzee Rascal - I Luv U
11. Wiley - Igloo
12. Various Production - Hater
13. Giggs - Talkin The Hardest
14. SBTRKT - Wildfire (featuring Little Dragon)
15. Jamie xx - All Under One Roof Raving
01. The Prodigy - Firestarter
02. Peaches - Fuck The Pain Away
03. The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
04. Devendra Banhart - I Feel Just Like A Child
05. Ratatat - Seventeen Years
06. M.I.A. - Paper Planes
07. Thom Yorke - The Eraser
08. Gil Scott-Heron - New York Is Killing Me
09. Radiohead - Weird Fishes / Arpeggi
10. Tyler, The Creator - Yonkers
11. The Horrors - Sea Within A Sea
12. Jai Paul - BTSTU (demo)
13. Bobby Womack - Please Forgive My Heart
14. The xx - Angels
15. Sampha - Too Much
16. Vampire Weekend - Step
17. King Krule - Easy Easy
18. Adele - Rolling In The Deep
XL Recordings will release Pay Close Attention on August 25th, 2014.