His early days working as a music journalist, in record stores and playing at local Parisian parties taught him to find his own way and ignore obvious trends.
Smagghe, who is part of Blackstroke, has taken up residency at Fabric to a remarkable response. Many of those who have experienced can't get enough - eager to catch him for repeat performances. For those of you not familiar with Ivan take note. He is one of the more interesting artists to give a fresh style to the electro genre, mixing it up with a variety of other influences and his Fabric album represents this.
"Abstract bleeps and dark noises? Synths that rock? 4/4 electronics? Yes, all that. This is the scream of the guy who did not want to be pigeonholed", Smagghe comments on the album. The final tracklisting follows.
Fabric 23: Ivan Smagghe Tracklisting
01. Aswefall – Ride (Der Schmeisser Lovelysplinter remix) – Kill The DJ
02. Audion – Your Place Or Mine – Spectral Sound/Ghostly International
03. I-Robots – Frau (Pandullo Vs Und) – Irma
04. Booka Shade – Vertigo Vs Cha! (Ada remix) – Get Physical Music
05. Iñaqui Marin – You Can’t Scape – Regular
06. Michael Mayer – Heiden – Kompakt
**. Lopazz – Blood (acapella) – Output
07. DJ Koze – The Geklöppel Continues - Kompakt
08. [T]ékël – Snake Tartare – Initial Cuts
09. The Kills – No Wow – Domino
10. Konrad Black – Jefferson And Braeside – Wagon Repair
11. Fabrizio Mammarella – Tear Up – BearFunk
12. Audion – Just Fucking (Roman Flügel's "23 Positions In A One-Night Stand" Mix) – Spectral Sound/Ghostly International
13. Sergej Auto – Carnage, OK! – Saasfee
14. Poni Hoax – Budapest (Joakim Italo Dub) - Tigersushi
The compilation is released for fabric subscribers on July 4 2005 with the UK/Europe retail out 18 July and the rest of the world on August 2.