The double-disc mix features late '80s house tunes reworked by DJ Twitch, Kink, John Daly and more.
Founded by Larry Sherman and Rachael Cain in 1984, Trax released dozens of early house anthems by artists like Virgo, DJ Pierre, Frankie Knuckles and Larry Heard. It's also credited for helping develop the squelchy sound of acid house, thanks in part to the 1988 compilation Acid Trax. Along with DJ International Records, Trax was one of Chicago's most important labels during its house heyday.
The new compilation was cooked up by Bill Brewster and Frank Broughton, co-authors of Last Night a DJ Saved My Life and the pair behind the DJ History website. "The thought of getting our hands on Trax made our palms sweaty with excitement," says Brewster. "The fact that there were few mutli-tracks remaining and most of the original master tapes had either been wiped or lost was a shame, but it also meant that the producers who worked on the project would have to be resourceful, eking out juice from limited resources... We're confident that, although they've been meddled with, the meddling has been done with such care, love and respect that we've merely rejuvenated them for modern dance floors."
Contributions come from relatively unknown bedroom producers as well as recognized house and techno artists, including Mark Broom, KiNK and John Daly (who reworks Larry Heard's classic "Can You Feel It"). Some notorious crate diggers and edit-masters appear as well, such as Greg Wilson, Leo Zero and JD Twitch of Optimo. The compilation will see release at the beginning of next year.
01. Virgo 4 - Take Me Higher (Ray Mang Re-edit)
02. Farley "Jackmaster" Funk - Farley Knows House (PPF 03. Jack For Daze Dub)
04. Frankie Knuckles - It's A Cold Cold World (Hotel Motel Re-edit)
05. Adonis - Rockin' Down The House (Toby Tobias & 06. Hardway Bros Re-edit)
06. Mr Fingers - Washing Machine (Swag's Ariston Re-edit)
07. Master C&J - Dub Love (Mark Broom Re-touch)
08. Ralphi Rosario - You Used To Hold Me (Justin Harris Respectful Redo)
09. Willie Wonka - What Is House (Andy Blake Re-edit)
10. Jack Frost - Clap Me (Kink Cover Version)
11. Jamie Principle - Waiting On My Angel (Leftside Wobble Re-edit)
01. Virgo - R U Hot Enough (R&R&S Re-edit)
02. Jamie Principle - Baby Wants To Ride (Bubba & T.Bone's Still Believing Re-edit)
03. Kevin Irving - Children Of The Night (Disco Bloodbath Re-edit)
04. Mr Fingers - Can You Feel It (John Daly Re-edit)
05. Mr Lee - Pump Up Chicago (JD Twitch Re-edit)
06. Pierre's Pfantasy Club - Fantasy Girl (Bleepfunk's Acid Sweatbox Remix)
07. Spanky - Acid Bass (Neville Watson Re-edit)
08. Ron Hardy - Sensation (Richard Sen Re-edit)
09. Robert Owns - Bring Down the Walls (Leo Zero Re-edit)
10. Adonis - No Way Back (Greg Wilson Re-edit)
11. Master C&J - Face It (Leftside Wobble Re-edit)
DJ History will release Trax 25 - DJ History Re-Edit Project on January 17th, 2011.