The 19-track affair, out in January, profiles the South African gqom subgenre.
The young label first teased the compilation with an EP back in August. Now they've announced the whole thing, a 19-track collection gathering highlights from the scene in Durban, South Africa. Named for a Zulu word roughly translating to "drum," gqom is "apocalyptic bass music" that draws from "hip-hop, sound system culture, UK funky and deep tribal African vibrations," according to the label, and it's associated with a dance called the bhenga.
Gqom Oh! was formed by South Africa's Lerato Phiri and Rome's Nan Kolè, as an effort to spread the word about the sound and "invest in much-needed technology to help build a local creative infrastructure." This first compilation features a wide range of Durban artists, including Citizen Boy, Cruel Boyz, Emo Kid, TLC Fam and Formation Boyz.
Listen to Cruel Boyz's "Umeqo Emagqomini (Dub Mix)" below.
01. Intro - Is It Gqom
02. Dominowe - Africa's Cry
03. Forgotten Souls feat. Formation Boyz - Hhaibo (Remix)
04. DJ Mabheko - Syagwaba (704 Gqomu)
05. Emo Kid & DJ Bradolz - IYona
06. Citizen Boy - Tribute To DSB
07. Cruel Boyz - Umeqo Emagqomini (Dub Mix)
08. Citizen Boy - Ghetto Mafia (Club Mix)
09. Formation Shout Out
10. Formation Boyz - Zulu War
11. TLC Fam - June Bani Bani (Dbn Dance)
12. Julz Da DeeJay - Gunz & Soulz
13. Forgotten Souls - Sgubhu 6 (Gqom Edit)
14. Emo Kid - Table Funk
15. Gqom Outro
16. Cruel Boys - Cruel Dance Remake
17. Formation Boyz - Jungle Anthem
18. Mafia Boyz - 6 To 6
19. TLC Fam - Skim Sam (Dbn Dance)
Gqom Oh! will release The Sound Of Durban Vol. 1 on January 29th, 2016.