Japanese Ambient, Environmental & New Age Music 1980-1990 was curated by Visible Cloaks' Spencer Doran.
The 25-track compilation pulls in Japanese giants like Yellow Magic Orchestra (as well as members Ryuichi Sakamoto and Haruomi Hosono) and Joe Hisaishi, plus artists who have experienced a recent resurgence in interest like Yasuaki Shimizu, Inoyama Land and Hiroshi Yoshimura. Visible Cloaks' Spencer Doran, who reissued Yoshimura's Music For Nine Post Cards on his Empire Of Signs imprint, compiled the set.
The label offers context for '80s environmental music in Japan, explaining the music on Kankyō Ongaku was "heard not only on records and in live performances, but also within public and private spaces where they intermingled with the sounds and environments of everyday life." The booming economy of '80s Japan led corporations to bankroll various art and music initiatives. As such, the compilation includes "in-store music for Muji, promo LP for a Sanyo AC unit and a Seiko watch advert."
The set will come with extensive liner notes and artist bios as well as an essay from Doran. The CD version will come packaged in a hardbound book.
Check out a video preview of Kankyō Ongaku.
01. Satoshi Ashikawa - Still Space
02. Yoshio Ojima - Glass Chattering
03. Hideki Matsutake - Nemureru Yoru (Karaoke Version)
04. Joe Hisaishi - Islander
05. Yoshiaki Ochi - Ear Dreamin'
06. Masashi Kitamura + Phonogenix - Variation III
07. Interior - Park
08. Yoichiro Yoshikawa - Nube
09. Yoshio Suzuki - Meet Me In The Sheep Meadow
10. Toshi Tsuchitori - Ishiura (Abridged)
11. Shiho Yabuki - Tomoshibi (Abridged)
12. Toshifumi Hinata - Chaconne
13. Yasuaki Shimizu - Seiko 3
14. Inoyama Land - Apple Star
15. Hiroshi Yoshimura - Blink
16. Fumio Miyashita - See The Light (Abridged)
17. Akira Ito - Praying For Mother / Earth Part 1
18. Jun Fukamachi - Breathing New Life
19. Takashi Toyoda - Snow
20. Yellow Magic Orchestra - Loom
21. Takashi Kokubo - A Dream Sails Out To Sea - Scene 3
22. Masahiro Sugaya - Umi No Sunatsubu
23. Haruomi Hosono - Original BGM
24. Ayuo Takahashi - Nagareru (LP Only)
25. Ryuichi Sakamoto - Dolphins (LP Only)
Light In The Attic will release Kankyō Ongaku: Japanese Ambient, Environmental & New Age Music 1980-1990 on February 15th, 2019.