Toop's Field Recordings And Fox Spirits also comes as a book.
The first LP from renowned UK sound artist and journalist David Toop is Apparition Paintings. It features Toop on guitar, flute, bass, drums and keyboards, along with a plethora of vocalists, instrumentalists and voice recordings of artists like Ornette Coleman.
Toop explains the concept: "Apparition painting is the term used to describe a certain type of ancient Chinese painting of the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. In these works, often associated with Chan (Zen) teachings, the ink used to depict the subject was exceptionally pale, the background lacking in any detail."
The second is a collection of personal field recordings called Field Recordings And Fox Spirits, which was arranged by Room40 head Lawrence English. It comes with a 40-page book featuring an interview with Toop and photographs from his archive. Both albums are due out on September 11th.
Before then, on July 3rd, Room40 will also release two remastered albums Marina Rosenfeld's catalogue: 1999's theforestthegardenthesea and 2005's Joy Of Fear. It's the first time that either has been reissued. She's known for her sound and visual art as well as her live performances and composition using turntablist techniques.
Listen to Rosenfeld's "theseatheforestthegarden."
Listen to Toop's "You could touch him but he wasn't there."
David Toop - Apparition Paintings
01. You could touch him but he wasn't there
02. Tiny human figurines made from sand. If you held these to your ear, you heard soft sweet music
03. A ghost travelling half a mile from its own shape
04. For believing (you were a strange beautiful unearthly creature from a faraway planet)
05. Smaller life spirits (that inhabit the joints)
06. She fell asleep somewhere outside the world
07. All I desire
08. When I first came here (I thought I'd never get used to the trains; now when it's quiet I get nervous)
09. Always she seemed to be listening to some foray in the blood, that had no known setting
10. Some of them (to isolate themselves even further, beat their own ears until the tiny bones within were crushed)
11. Possibly it was only the coming of certain indefinable hours
12. Suddenly the world had dropped away
David Toop - Field Recordings And Fox Spirits
01. Fox Spirits
02. Wasp, recorded in Somerset, c. 1971
03. Rain In the Face, long flute and frame drum, c. 1973 or 74
04. Conversation with Syd Senior, 1979
05. Beijing sounds, recorded March 2005
06. Rain In the Face, “Do the Bathosphere”, c. 1974
07. Conversation with Derek Bailey, February 2003
08. Flute Orchestra, 20.8.1972
09. Chiang Mai, Thailand, blind group playing in the street.
10. David Toop solo, Iklectik, London, 2017
11. Conversation with Annabel Nicolson, c. 1992
12. Rain In the Face, prepared guitar, drums, two-string fiddle, c. 1974
13. Sheep Wind Fence Flute, recorded on Dartmoor, 1971
14. Chiang Mai bell rhythm and tuk tuk
15. Conversation with Ornette Coleman, 13.9.1995
16. Ano Syros bells, Greece, 2018
17. Rain In the Face, ghost flute and cymbal, 1973
18. Night frogs, La Sabana, Venezuela, 1978
19. Juliette Toop, "You Know That You and I", circa 1995
Marina Rosenfeld - theforestthegardenthesea
Marina Rosenfeld - Joy Of Fear
02. Two (Joy Of Fear)
04. Four (Fever)
05. Five (Starry Night)
06. Six (Come Home)
Room40 will release theforestthegardenthesea and Joy Of Fear on July 3rd, 2020 and Apparition Paintings and Field Recordings And Fox Spirits on September 11th, 2020.