Reworked/Remixes, a new two CD compilation presenting an intertwining of Trentemøller's best reworks of the last five years and other people's remixes of tracks from 2010's Into the Great Wide Yonder, is presented by In My Room—his own label—which now appears to be the most appropriate vehicle for his specific vision of indie-bound EDM. Based on the selection at hand, it's obvious how he is skilled at turning your average alternative song (either from The Dø, Franz Ferdinand, or Mew) into trippy dark house numbers; moreover, Chimes And Bells' gothic shoegaze and Sleep Party People's leftfield folk both come across as perfect matches to the remixer's sound, which always had a foot in the guitar-based end of that indie spectrum anyway. That isn't to say he doesn't know how to dance properly: Anders' own re-reading of Modeselektor's "White Flash" is proof—even a few years after its initial release—that he still has a knack for frenetic atmospheres.
Alas, there are moments where it doesn't work as well. "Wrong" probably remains Depeche Mode's worst comeback single ever, and Trentemøller's remix only further enhances the original's stomping self-consciousness. The limitations imposed by the source material shine just as bright on "Me Me Me," the sole 2010 release from Copenhagen musician Lars and the Hands of Light, a piece of vaguely '60s-inspired indie pop.
The compilation might showcase "new, exclusive and unreleased songs" as a selling point, but half of them simply constitute instrumental versions of already known productions. Sadly, both "Neverglade" and "Tide," which formed the last studio album's epic coda, turn into unnecessary and pale send-ups compared to their original versions. Thankfully, there are some true surprises—well, one—to be had: I Blame Coco (Britain's humorless version of Robyn, if you'd like) offers a quirky synth-pop cover version of "...Even Though You're With Another Girl," her affected vocals only adding to the song's original sense of piteous despair while proposing a rereading that is both contrasting and faithful.
Like most compilations of this sort, Reworded/Remixed is a hit-and-miss affair. Trentemøller's music, at least when it is produced with the long player format in mind, suggests escapism. When it works—and it often does—he sounds like the improbable coalition of Steve Bug and Mazzy Star. But on Reworded/Remixed, you just don't hear it that much.
Thu / 8 Dec 2011
01. Trentemoller - Sycamore Feeling (Marie Fisker Version)
02. UNKLE - The Answer feat. Big in Japan (Baltimore) (Trentemoller Remix)
03. The Do - Too Insistent (Trentemoller Remix)
04. Trentemoller - Tide (Efterklang Remix)
05. Trentemoller - Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider Go !!! (Andrew Weatherall Prinz Mix)
06. Franz Ferdinand - No You Girls (Trentemoller Remix)
07. Trentemoller - Tide (Modeselektor's Last Remix Ever)
08. Modeselektor feat. Thom Yorke - White Flash (Trentemoller Remix)
09. Lars and The Hands Of Light - Me Me Me (Trentemoller Remix)
10. Kasper Bjorke - Does Not Matter feat. The Pierces (Trentemoller Remix)
11. Trentemoller - Tide (Alternative Instrumental Version)
01. Trentemoller - Neverglade (Trentemoller Remix)
02. Chimes And Bells - The Mole (Trentemoller Remix)
03. Trentemoller - ...Even Though You're With Another Girl (I Blame Coco Version)
04. Efterklang - Raincoats (Trentemoller Remix)
05. Trentemoller - Neverglade (UNKLE Surrender Sounds Session #16)
06. Depeche Mode - Wrong (Trentemoller Club Remix)
07. Sleep Party People - The Dwarf And The Horse (Trentemoller Remix)
08. Mew - Beach (Trentemoller Remix)
09. Trentemoller - ...Even Though You're With Another Girl (Kollektiv Turmstrasse Remix)
10. Giana Factory - Dirty Snow (Trentemoller Remix)
11. Trentemoller - Neverglade (Instrumental Version)