Having almost chucked it all in for a "proper job" just before breaking out with 2011's "Entrance Song," Pearce seems to play every set as if it were his last, but he's always mindful of his audience. He nails that balance on fabric 86: initially moodier and more restrained than usual, the mix is a blend of well-timed punches and pacesetting grooves that grow increasingly sweaty. Every record Pearce reaches for is tried-and-tested club fare, but he stitches it all together into a nicely arced mix.
Unlike many of his peers, Pearce doesn't use his fabric mix to showcase his friends. Tracks from '96 rub against those from 20 years later, lithe deep house segues into barreling techno, and ten-year-old minimal makes way for electro-clash, all without showing the joints. Technically adroit and texturally varied, the mix sets Pearce apart from his peers.
One caveat is that fabric 86 is bookended by some tactless emotional bait from Ananda Project and Moonman, a reflection of Pearce's heart-on-sleeve approach. Those tracks will feel all too obvious for some, to be sure, but anyone looking for a readymade party in a (little tin) box could do far worse than this one.
Sun / 20 Mar 2016
01. Ananda Project - Cascades of Colour (Danny Tenaglia Edit Of Saffron Mix)
02. Toka Project - Feelin’ This Way
03. Cavalier - Kaimanawa
04. Peter Horrevorts - Nostalgia
05. Lauren Lane - Diary Of A Madwoman
06. Jaz Woods - Kickback (Tim J Remix)
07. Stephen Brown - Medusa
08. Âme - Fiori (Dixon Beat Edit)
09. Kerrier District - Techno Disco (KiNK Remix)
10. Tim J - Motion (Jeff Bennett Remix)
11. Gabi 2B - Groovers Maneuvers
12. DJ 3000 - Take Me Away (Truncate Remix)
13. Booka Shade - Trespass 06
14. Golden Boy with Miss Kittin - Rippin Kittin (X-Press 2 Late Night Homicide Remix)
15. Mosca - White Mice
16. Trikk - Prime Time
17. Joi Cardwell - Jump For Joi (Spike Dub)
18. Whiplash pres. New York Slick - Over Me (Whiplash Sub Bass Mix)
19. Cajmere - Baby Talk
20. Moonman - Galaxia