A new charity compilation, Red Hot + Bach, sees modern musicians take on the work of the German composer.
Red Hot has a history of using culture and the arts to bring awareness to HIV. According to FACT, Red Hot + Bach is the latest, inviting a wide cross-section of artists to reinterpret and remix some of the German composer's most well-known works. The album has had a traditional release on iTunes and CD as well as a more interactive iPad app which allows listeners to "interact and transform the music based on different layers and instruments" and draw while listening. The iTunes version contains ten extra tracks.
The compilation features contributions from Julianna Barwick, Carl Craig and Francesco Tristano, King Britt as Fhloston Paradigm, Max Richter, the Kronos Quartet with Jeff Mills, Burnt Friedman, Prefuse 73 and more. For full information, you can check the Red Hot official site.
01. Rob Moose & Chris Thile – Minuet (Tempo di Minuetto from Keyboard Partita No. 5, BWV 829)
02. Dustin O’Halloran – Minim (Prelude No. 2 in C Minor from The Well-Tempered Clavier, BWV 847)
03. Mia Doi Todd – Jardim Do Amor (Prelude in C Minor, BWV 999)
04. Shara Worden – Time Drinks Three Shots (Prelude No. 6 in D Minor, BWV 851)
05. Paul de Jong – Number Man (Sarabande from Cello Suite No. 5 in C Minor, BWV 1011)
06. Stuart Bogie & Grey McMurray – The Watchmaker (Prelude from Cello Suite No. 3 in C Major, BWV 1009)
07. Julianna Barwick – Very Own (Adagio from Keyboard Concerto in D Minor, BWV 974)
08. Victor Axelrod & Dustin O’Halloran – Minim [version] (Prelude No. 2 in C Minor from The Well-Tempered Clavier, BWV 847)
09. Amiina – Passacaglia (Passacaglia from Passacaglia and Fugue in C Minor, BWV 582)
10. Max Richter – Contrupunctus I (Contrupunctus I from The Art of the Fugue, BWV 1080)
11. Miguel Atwood-Ferguson – Arioso (Rearranged elements from Keyboard Preludes, BWV 921 and Sonata for Violin and Keyboard No. 5, BWV 1018)
12. Daniel Hope – Air (Air from Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D Major, BWV 1068)
13. Ron Carter & Gary Bartz – Cello Suite No. 1 (Prelude from Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major, BWV 1007)
14. King Britt – Ave Maria (Bach/Gounod setting of “Ave Maria”)
15. Franceso Tristano & Carl Craig – Ludepre (Prelude No. 2 in C Minor from The Well-Tempered Clavier, BWV 847)
16. Jeff Mills & Kronos Quartet – Contrapunctus II (Contrupunctus II from The Art of the Fugue, BWV 1080)
17. Kronos Quartet – Contrupunctus II (Contrupunctus II from The Art of the Fugue, BWV 1080)
18. Om’Mas Keith – Concerto No. 5 (Largo from Keyboard Concerto No. 5 in F Minor, BWV 1056)
19. Gabriel Kahane – Dear Goldberg (Goldberg Variations)
Red Hot released Red Hot + Bach on June 17th, 2014.