Todd Terje, Greg Wilson, Rub N Tug and Pilooski all take the knife to the Ze Records back catalogue on a new compilation.
Originally suggested to label owner Michel Esteban by Greg Wilson in 2004, the plan was to release a series of 12-inches followed by a full-length collection. The project subsided though after the release of Optimo's version of James White & The Blacks' post-punk anthem "Contort Yourself," with Esteban travelling to Brazil at short notice following the death of Ze artist Lizzy Mercier Descloux.
However, the label's recent partnership with Strut (who also released a 30th anniversary compilation for the imprint) meant that the compilation was resurrected, with brand new edits being added to the ones already commissioned. Todd Terje's summery version of Gichy Dan's "On A Day Like Today" finally gets an official release, while others taking the knife to their Ze favourites include Social Disco Club, Idjut BoysRub N Tug, Soul Mekanik, and project curator Greg Wilson. Rare cuts seekers will also be glad to know that Bill Brewster and Theo Noble (AKA Fat Camp) have got their hands on David Gamson's "No Turn On Red," which was previously only available on an NME covermount cassette.
Those who go out and buy the physical product will also be treated to an accompanying booklet that includes writings from both Greg Wilson and DJ History's Bill Brewster, and there will be two extra edits included for fans looking to purchase the digital release.
01. Kid Creole & The Coconuts – I'm Corrupt (Idjut Boys Edit)
02. Gichy Dan's Beachwood No. 9 – Cowboys & Gangsters (Social Disco Club Edit)
03. Gichy Dan's Beachwood No. 9 – On A Day Like Today (Todd Terje ‘Friendly Children’ Edit)
04. David Gamson – No Turn On Red (Fat Camp version)
05. Material with Nona Hendryx – Bustin' Out (Rub N Tug Edit)
06. Aural Exciters – Spooks In Space (Luke Howard & Felix Dickinson Filthy & Foolish Edit)
07. Was (Not Was) – Tell Me That I'm Dreaming (Greg Wilson ZE-Edit)
08. James White & The Blacks – Almost Black (Richard Sen’s Padded Cell Edit)
09. Garcons – Encore L'Amore (Leo Zero Edit)
10. Don Armando's Seventh Avenue Rhumba Band - I'm An Indian Too (Pilooski Edit)
11. Kid Creole & The Coconuts – Annie, I'm Not Your Daddy (Soul Mekanik "Bounty Girls" Edit)
Gichy Dan's Beachwood No. 9 – Cowboys & Gangsters (Brennan Green Edit)
Arto/Neto - Pini Pini (The Barking Dogs vs. Club Silencio "The Guitar Man" Edit)
Strut will release Zevolution: Ze Records Reedited on November 27th, 2009.