Arthur Russell, Bumblebee Unlimited, Sun Ra and Aural Exciters will all appear on the forthcoming retrospective of the NYC producer.
Entitled The Blank Generation: Blank Tapes NYC 1975-1985, the collection will look back to one of the most celebrated eras of New York's underground music scene. Bob Blank originally started out as a guitarist before making the move into production in 1975, but it wasn't long before he'd made a name for himself and his Blank Tape studios. Punchy productions for Musique, Inner Life and Salsoul Orchestra followed, but this compilation takes a look at some of the lesser known gems from Blank's extensive career.
Milton Hamilton's "Crystalized"—the first track Blank ever produced—is included in the single disc package, with cuts from Debby Blackwell, Bumblebee Unlimited, Arthur Russell (under the name Lola), and Sun Ra also making the final cut. As well as getting pristine CD audio versions of some of these tracks for the first time, buyers will also get an extensive interview with Blank that was conducted by DJHistory.com's Bill Brewster, as well as rare photos from Blank's personal archive.
01. Debby Blackwell - Once You Got Me Going
02. Charanga 76 - Music Trance
03. Milton Hamilton - Crystalized
04. Sun Ra - Where Pathways Meet
05. The Necessaries - State Of Art
06. Lydia Lunch - A Cruise To The Moon
07. James Blood Ulmer - Jazz Is The Teacher, Funk Is The Preacher
08. Bumblebee Unlimited - I Got A Big Bee
09. Mikki - Itching For Love (M+M Mix)
10. Fonda Rae - Over Like A Fat Rat
11. Gladys Knight - It's Better Than A Good Time (Walter Gibbons Mix)
12. Lola - Wax The Van (Jon's Dub)
13. Aural Exciters - Emile (Night Rate)
Strut will release The Blank Generation: Blank Tapes NYC 1975-1985 on February 2nd 2010.