The Classic Records co-founder brings some Chicago flavor to the mix series' latest edition.
Carter allegedly got started on the decks at the age of nine, playing disco records at his family's parties. He became a key figure of his city's house scene throughout the '90s, playing clubs like Shelter and Foxy's and working at Gramaphone Records. One of his most notable achievements lies in Classic Records, the label he launched in 1995 with Luke Solomon and Chez Damier that put out exactly 100 12-inches in its decade-long stint (which famously began at CMC100 and counted downwards with each release), including modern classics like Isolee's Beau Mot Plage. An avid remixer, he's done reworks for everyone from Cajmere to Ricky Martin.
With Fabric 56, Carter did his best to show what you might hear from him in a club: lots of his own remixes, lots of tracks from Chicago artists, and that signature "boompty boomp" sound. "I have some new stuff, some old stuff, some special stuff," he says. "I tried to give it that kind of treatment so it's authentic, and real and valid and present. It's Derrick. All day."
01. Jody Fingers Finch - Jack Your Big Booty (Derricks BHQ Acid Vocal / BHQ Bonus Of Beats) Green Velvet - La La Land (Derrick Carter Ds BHQ Business Remix)/ Dennis Ferrer - Church Lady (Tommy Davis & DJ Spen Bom Bom Bom Tool)
02. Almost September - Love (Derricks BHQ Remix)
03. DJ Sneak - Respect Bonito (Justin Long Remix)
04. Nick Garcia - Playin Tricks (Hector Moralez Remix)
05. Scope - 8 Track
06. Cricco Castelli - First Love
07. Osunlade pres. Nadirah Shakoor - Pride (Johnny D Remix)
08. Iz & Diz - Cosmid
09. Roger Sanchez - My Organ
10. Scrubfish - Testify To The Soul Provider
11. Olene Kadar feat. D-Low - Baby Keep It Up
12. Cajmere - Percolator (Derrick Carter Bonus Mix)
13. 1200 Warriors - HardDrum (B-Boy Mix)
14. Tripmastaz - Back on My BS
15. Piek meets Stan Garac - La Gondola
16. Lego - Bang Bang
17. Abraham Inc. - Moskowitz Remix (Ds BHQ Re-edit)
Fabric will release Fabric 56 on March 7th, 2011.