Moritz von Oswald, Stereolab and the Innervisions crew contribute remixes to the double-disc collection.
Popol Vuh's prolific career stretched from 1970 all the way through to Fricke's death in 2001. The band went through many transformations in that time, forging new territory in rock, electronic, spiritual and world music, and producing a number of scores for famous films by Werner Herzog, including Nosferatu, Aguirre and Cobra Verde. Early adopters of the Moog synthesizer, their debut album Affenstunde is considered a precursor to much of today's electronic and ambient music.
"Popol Vuh guided me into a world of wonder and awe," said Stereolab member Timothy Gane. "The clanging guitar chord of 'Wehe Khorazin' will stay with me all my life. At that moment you really do travel a million miles." Jan Werner and Andi Thoma of Mouse on Mars describe the band in similar terms. "It came out of the blue, from a inextinctable desire to reach out to spiritual, deeply personal insights. Like a mess for the mystic joy of existence itself."
Revisited and Remixed pairs selections from all eras of Popol Vuh's career, from their early albums to their later soundtracks, with new interpretations by some of the artists they inspired. In addition to Stereolab and Mouse on Mars, artists on remix duty include Moritz von Oswald, Mika Vainio and Thomas Fehlmann, as well as Innervisions' Âme, Dixon and Henrik Schwarz.
01. Aguirre I Lacrima di Rei
03. In den Gärten Pharaos Ich mache einen Spiegel
04. Nachts - Schnee
05. Eine andere Welt
06. In your Eyes
07. Train through time
09. Brüder Des Schattens
10. Through Pain to Heaven
11. Kailash: Last Village
01. Aguirre I / II (Lacrima Di Rei edit) (Peter Kruder Remix)
02. Schnee (Flow edit) (Thomas Fehlmann Flow Mix)
03. Heart of Glass (Sei Still Wisse Ich Bin edit) (A Critical Mass Remix)
04. Haram Dei Haram Dei (ProgRock Edit) (Alex Barck Remix)
05. Through Pain to Heaven / Kyrie (Edit) (Roland Appel Remix)
06. Nachts Schnee (Ambient edit) (Mika Vainio Remix)
07. Gärten Pharaos (Dark Development Edit) (Moritz von Oswald Remix)
08. Through Pain to Heaven (Dopeful Vuh) (Mouse On Mars Remix)
09. Hosianna Mantra (Lyrics edit) (Stereolab Remix)
10. Aguirre I / II (Endless edit) (Haswell & Hecker Remix)
11. Train through time (long edit)
SPV will release Popol Vuh: Revisted & Remixed (1970-1999) on June 24th, 2011.