We spoke to the New York radio jock about the two-disc anniversary set.
Due out November 10th, Beats In Space 15th Anniversary comprises two discs. The first is devoted to new and exclusive material, with unheard tracks from Galcher Lustwerk and Azari & III presented alongside recent material licensed from labels like Hinge Finger, Crimes Of The Future and Studio Barnhus. The second CD presents 16 Beats In Space classics, with Sweeney hand-picking tunes that have helped shape his show. Regular listeners will find plenty to savour on this disc, with tracks from Tensnake ("In The End I Want You To Cry"), Justin Vandervolgen ("Clapping Song") and Delia & Gavin ("Relevee," remixed by Carl Craig).
The compilation, which is coming out on Beats In Space Records, will be available on double-CD, triple-vinyl and digital formats. Sweeney will head to Europe to play at three 15th anniversary parties. First up is an event at Corsica Studios in London on Friday, September 26th. On September 27th it's the Rex Club in Paris, and then he'll play Panorama Bar in Berlin on October 18th. We caught up with Sweeney via email to find out more:
How does it feel to reach the 15-year milestone with Beats In Space?
Honestly, going in to the radio station to do the show every week for the past 15 years has never been boring. I still love it. It's still fun. Lots of friends are always coming by either to DJ or to hang out. Sometimes a big name DJ will stop by to play. Other times someone will come on that no one knows about and blow everyone out of the water. Or I just go on and play whatever I want and end up at rooftop parties with women throwing themselves at me and guys passing me one hundred dollar bills—either that or I'm getting death threats. It's heaven or hell with this show and that's the way I like it. If you want purgatory, listen to some computer programmed Clear Channel.
BIS has a family of eccentric characters now and to me, that's the kind of thing that makes New York and the radio show still fun and exciting and different to everything else out there. I think the cosmic disco legend Daniele Baldelli said it best when he come on the show recently: "If you like me, okay! If you don't like me, vaffanculo!" That's been the basic ethos of the show for the past 15 years.
How do you define a Beats In Space classic, and how did you go about selecting the tracks for that disc?
The classic are songs that that have had a big influence on me or what I think have helped define the show over the past 15 years. I just took a look at some of the records that never seem to leave my record bag or the songs I always seem to play at home. A lot of them are influenced by my time working with Steinski, Tim Goldsworthy and James Murphy at DFA, and doing the soundtracks for Rockstar Games. It was funny, a few months ago I got an email out of the blue from a guy down in Philadelphia. He had been curious what songs I played the most on Beats In Space, so he wrote a program to go through all the playlists on the website and count how many times a song was played! That was a big help to remind me of some of the songs I played a lot earlier on.
CD 1: New & Exclusive
01. Edwin Starr - Get Up Whirpool (Eric Duncan Edit)
02. Reuma Abas - Wa'ana Fda Leumi (Apfelberg et Matushka Edit)
03. David Hasert - Deep Horst
04. Azari & III - Party Night
05. Dukes Of Chutney - Jan's Bellski (Pedrodollar Remix)
06. Masks - Folds I - Studio Alexis
07. Barnt - Chappell - Hinge Finger
08. Galcher Lustwerk - Kaint
09. Secret Circuit - Higher Heights (Hidden Fees Remix/Tim Sweeney Edit)
10. Marvin Horsch - Deen
11. Pedrodollar - Free4Love
12. Samuel - A Million Things
13. Gino Bomino - Save The World Now
14. Junior Fairplay - Sugar Puss
15. E-Versions - Shoe
16. El Coco - Coco Kane (Frasier Edit)
CD 2: Beats In Space Classics
01. Baby Oliver - Shot Caller - Environ
02. John Talabot - When The Past Was Present (Pachanga Boys Purple Remix)
03. Tensnake - In The End I Want You To Cry
04. Justin Vandervolgen - Clapping Song
05. Quesh - Candy Girl (Crue-L Luger Dub)
06. Plaid - Scoobs In Columbia
07. Matias Aguayo - I Don’t Smoke
08. Butler Kendig - Oh Baby (Snuff Krew Remix 1)
09. FIT - Tonite (OG Mix)
10. Ralph Falcon - Every Now And Then
11. Naum Gabo - Pictur (The Loving Hand Remix - Naum Gabo Edit 1)
12. Delia & Gavin - Relevee (Carl Craig Remix)
13. Rocha - Feel The Love (Welcome Stranger Remix)
14. Murat Tepeli - Forever (Prosumer's Hold Me Touch Me Remix)
15. Balil - 3/4 Heart
16. Tim Blake - Last Ride Of The Boogie Child
Beats In Space Records will release Beats In Space 15th Anniversary on November 10th, 2014.