The man behind the Japan Blues project has pulled together 15 tunes made between 1973 and 1983.
Williams, who has worked for the distribution arm of Honest Jon's in West London for nearly two decades, is a devotee of Japanese music. He's released occasional productions as Japan Blues and also hosts a popular NTS Radio show under that name. Titled Lovin' Mighty Fire: Nippon Funk, Soul & Disco 1973-1983, this is Williams' third compilation of Japanese music for the Ace Records group of labels. (This one's coming on BGP International.) He also oversaw last year's Maki Asakawa retrospective on Honest Jon's Records.
The likes of revered experimental artist Haruomi Hosono and singer Minako Yoshida, who's the subject of a forthcoming 7-inch reissue on Rush Hour, feature on the compilation, which is due out on August 26th. It comes with sleeve notes penned by Williams. Listen to clips on the Ace Records website.
01. Lily - Bye Bye Session Band
02. Rie Nakahara - Sentimental Hotel
03. Haruomi Hosono - Barato Yajuu
04. Yasuko Agawa - Why Don't You Move In With Me
05. Pink Lady - Jiken Ga Okitara Bell Ga Naru
06. Yuko Asano - Summer Champion (Summer Dream)
07. Junko Ohashi - Dancin'
08. Masayoshi Takanaka - Rainbow Paradise
09. Mari Natsuki - Uragiri
10. Miyako Chaki - Maboroshi No Hito
11. Minako Yoshida - Tornado
12. Kay Ishiguro - Banana
13. Masaaki Hirao - Funky Miyo-chan
14. Ebonee Webb - Yashow Macashow
15. Naoya Matsuoka & Minako Yoshida - Lovin' Mighty Fire
BGP International will release Lovin' Mighty Fire: Nippon Funk, Soul & Disco 1973-1983 on August 26th, 2016.