His label Faitiche will also reissue his 2002 LP, Improvisations And Edits, in May.
Zwischen—German for "between"—is an album-length adaptation of a radio play that Jelinek wrote for German broadcaster SWR2. Each track is a collage based on an excerpt of an interview with a public figure, isolating the spaces between words as well as the non-verbal noises the speakers make. According to the press release, the vocal sounds "control a synthesizer, creating electronic sounds that overlay and merge with the voices to make 12 acoustic structures."
The public figures sampled for the album include Yoko Ono, Lady Gaga, John Cage, Slavoj Žižek, Karlheinz Stockhausen and Marcel Duchamp. It'll come via Jelinek's label Faitiche in May.
Also coming up on Faitiche in May is a reissue of Jelinek's 2002 album, Improvisations And Edits, Tokyo 26.09.2001. For that LP, Jelinek and Japanese group Computer Soup improvised eight tracks in a Tokyo living room, with the recordings later edited separately by Jelinek and the band.
Listen to Zwischen track "Lady Gaga, (...) Is Fashion As Important To You As Music?" and "Straight Life" from Improvisations And Edits, Tokyo 26.09.2001.
01. Alice Schwarzer, Is It True That You're A Person Of Great Tenacity?
02. John Cage, I've Been Told To Ask You The Following Question: Where Are You Going?
03. Hubert Fichte, Your Journey Through Life Has Been Full Of Twists And Turns. Please Tell Us When And Where This Journey Began!
04. Slavoj Žižek, What Signs Were There Of The Imminent Dissolution Of Yugoslavia?
05. Joseph Beuys, It Was You Who Said: Democracy Is So Big One Can Only Sing About It. You Recently Made Your Debut As A Singer. Which Democracy Are You Singing About?
06. Lady Gaga, You Once Said In An Interview That You Write Music For The Fashion Industry. Is Fashion As Important To You As Music?
07. Ernst Jandl, What Are Your Plans For Language: Revolution, Reform, Revolt?
08. Karlheinz Stockhausen, Which Difficulties Are Involved In Conserving Electronic Music On Magnetic Tape?
09. Marcel Duchamp, Would You Like Or Expect People To Spin The Wheel On Your Kinetic Object Roue De Bicyclette?
10. Friederike Mayröcker, When You Write, Do You Feel Like The Creator Of The Work Or More Like A Medium?
11. Yoko Ono, You Were Born Into A Rich, Aristocratic Family In Tokyo. Do You See That In Yourself?
12. Max Ernst, This Is The First Time In Twenty-Five Years That You've Returned To Your Old Home Town, To The Cathedral In Cologne, Right?
Improvisations And Edits, Tokyo 26.09.2001
01. Straight Life
03. Hot Barbecue
04. Barbecue's Version
05. The New Anthem
06. Watch What Happens
07. The Post-Anthem
08. (Hidden Track)
Faitiche will release Zwischen and Improvisations And Edits, Tokyo 26.09.2001 on May 4th, 2018