Pacific Breeze features music from Haruomi Hosono, Hiroshi Sato and Yasuko Agawa.
It's the third instalment in the Seattle and LA-based label's Japan Archival series, which sees LITA working through various genres. Pacific Breeze follows A Tree Can Shed Tears: Japanese Folk & Rock 1969-1973 and Kankyō Ongaku: Japanese Ambient, Environmental & New Age Music 1980-1990, a Spencer Doran-curated set that RA recently gave the Recommended stamp.
Pacific Breeze looks over music made during the height of Japan's '70s and '80s economic power, when "its pocket cassette players, bleeping video games, and gleaming cars boomed worldwide, wooing pleasure points and pumping Japanese pockets full of yen," the press release reads. "Japan's financial buoyancy also permeated its popular culture, birthing an audio analog called City Pop," the label continues, which "epitomized the era, providing a soundtrack for emerging urbanites."
The remastered 16-track set was curated by Andy Cabic, music supervisor and DJ Zach Cowie and Dublab cofounder Mark "Frosty" McNeil. It includes well-loved tunes like Hiroshi Sato's "Say Goodbye" and Yasuko Agawa's "L.A. Night," as well as several tracks from Yellow Magic Orchestra member Haruomi Hosono. The cover was painted by Hiroshi Nagai, whose images of Japanese resort living graced many City Pop albums. Pacific Breeze will come as a CD digipak with a fold-out booklet, black vinyl and "beach ball" tricolor wax editions.
Listen to clips over on the LITA site.
01. Tomoko Soryo - I Say Who
02. Taeko Ohnuki - Kusuri Wo Takusan
03. Minako Yoshida - Midnight Driver
04. Nanako Sato - Subterranean Futari Bocci
05. Haruomi Hosono - Sports Men
06. Izumi Kobayashi - Coffee Rumba
07. F.O.E. - In My Jungle
08. Akira Inoue, Hiroshi Sato, Masataka Matsutoya - Sun Bathing
09. Hiroshi Sato - Say Goodbye
10. Yukihiro Takahashi - Drip Dry Eyes
11. Masayoshi Takanaka - Bamboo Vender
12. Shigeru Suzuki - Lady Pink Panther
13. Haruomi Hosono, Takahiko Ishikawa, Masataka Matsutoya - Mykonos No Hanayome
14. Yasuko Agawa - L.A. Night
15. Hitomi Tohyama - Exotic Yokogao
16. Tazumi Toyoshima - Machibouke
Light In The Attic will release Pacific Breeze: Japanese City Pop, AOR & Boogie 1976-1986 on May 3rd, 2019.