The group's debut album, BGM, is out on the Japanese label in May.
In 2017, the long-running Japanese label launched the Studio Mule imprint focusing on archival Japanese jazz, disco, boogie and soul. Now, Mule head Toshiya Kawasaki has "formed a group of shifting members" whose debut album comprises "reworked, obscure Japanese gems," says the press release.
BGM includes the three singles the Studio Mule band has released thus far, including versions of Mariah's "Shinzo No Tobira" and Taeko Ohnuki's Yellow Magic Orchestra-produced "Carnaval." Those tracks feature Dip In The Pool's Miyako Koda on vocals as well as production from Kuniyuki. Other Studio Mule reworks include YMO's "Ballet," Yumi Murata's ambient pop song "Face To Face" and Yoshiyuki Ohsawa's "Soshite Bokuwa Toho Ni Kureru." Nanako Sato, who has experienced a resurgence in popularity due to the recent City Pop revival, sings on Tamao Koike's YMO-produced "Kagami No Naka No Jugatsu" as well as an interpretation of Yukihiro Takahashi's Burt Bacharach cover, "The April Fools."
Listen to clips from BGM.
01. Shinzo No Tobira feat. Miyako Koda AKA Dip In The Pool (Album Edit)
02. Kagami No Naka No Jyugatsu feat. Nanako Sato
03. Carnaval feat. Miyako Koda AKA Dip In The Pool (Album Edit)
05. Soshite Bokuwa Toho Ni Kureru
06. Yugao feat. Saho Terao
07. Face To Face feat. Miyako Koda AKA Dip In The Pool (Album Edit)
08. The April Fools feat. Nanako Sato
Studio Mule will release BGM on May 3rd, 2019.