'Fabric 29' mixed by electrohouse tastemakers Tiefschwarz is on its way. Always adept at making the obscure accessible, this time it looks like the brothers are taking things darker...
Ali and Basti Schwarz have been DJing for ten years. Hailing from Stuttgart and rooted in the German underground squat scene, nowadays their signature blend of house, techno and bass-heavy electrohouse is one of Europe’s biggest draws. Why have they succeeded where many of their more stern brethren are still scrabbling for attention in the ghettoes of Kreutzberg?
“We don’t have a musical background, we have a party background.”Watch how their DJ sets coax the shy onto the dancefloor and this background is obvious, but when it comes to production the nerd factor trumps all. But then again they do have a silent partner, studio whiz Peter Hoff, with whom they’ve managed to create a name for themselves, especially as remixers.
Tiefschwarz first came to international attention in 2004, a bonanza year for them. Their timing was perfect: as electrohouse found its feet, their infectious remixes of Spektrum’s ‘Kinda New’, Phonique’s ‘The Red Dress’ and Unit 4’s ‘Bodydub’ opened up the German take on the genre to the world. On top of that they added debut mix CD ‘Misch Masch’ blended tuneful minimal and rifftastic electrohouse to a rapturous reception.
It looks like Tiefschwarz are pulling the same trick on their latest mix for Fabric, which their press describes as “too charged-up to be minimal, too clued-up to be commercial.” But this time the tracklist suggests they’re taking their sound darker with Jamie Jones, Maetrik, Thomas Schumacher and RA podcast fave Louderbach lining up in battle against the chirpier likes of dirty bird Claude Von Stroke, Riton and M.A.N.D.Y.
“We wanted to give a perspective of a Tiefschwarz DJ mix in one hour. For us, it was not about making an eclectic mix, we were much more interested in showing what interests us as a DJ team. That was the idea and how we selected the tracks.”Ali’s summation of the mix is puzzlingly foreboding but then again he is German:
“It’s out of the stomach,” he says.Tracklist for Fabric 29
01. Louderbach aka Troy Pierce - Grace (Anxiety) - Underl_ne
02. Claude Von Stroke - Whose Afraid Of Detroit? - Dirtybird
03. Tiefschwarz - Damage [M.A.N.D.Y. Remix] - Fine
04. Theodor Zox - Extruder [Maetrik Remix] - Tic Tac Toe
05. Touane - Bassic - Persona
06. Thomas Schumacher - Rotor - Spiel Zeug
07. Night On Earth - Rondell - KickBoxer
08. GummiHz - A.A.K.N.Y. - Mobilee
09. Ichundu - Hey - Souvenir
10. Jamie Jones - Amazon - Freak n’ Chic
11. Sleeper Thief - Freefall - 64 Records
12. Depeche Mode - John The Revelator [Dave Is In The Disco Dub] - Mute
13. Riton - The Hammer of Thor - Souvenir
14. Kate Wax - Beetles and Spiders [Roman Flugel Remix] - Mental Groove
'Fabric 29' mixed by Tiefschwarz will be released in Europe on July 17th and elsewhere in the world on August 8th.