French electronic duo Air are the latest picks to share their personal music collection with the world for Azuli’s album series ‘Late Night Tales.�
House label Azuli Records is well known for its ‘Choice’ series in which DJ chose their formative records and bang them onto a CD, and ‘Late Night Tales’ is the same idea but with more of an electronic home listening focus. Previous volumes in the series have been compiled Sly & Robbie, Jamiroquai, Four Tet and the Flaming Lips.
Parisian duo Air are Nicolas Godin and Jean-Benoît Dunckel, whose debut album ‘Moon Safari’ gave the charts a good French kiss in 1998. Subsequent albums ‘10,000 Hz Legend’ and last year’s ‘Talkie Walkie’ consolidated their Pink Floyd-meets-Gainsbourg electronic sound, but recently they’ve also moved into soundtracks, penning the score to Sofia Coppola’s ‘The Virgin Suicides’ to wide acclaim.
The song is paramount on Air’s edition of ‘Late Night Tales’ with countryman Sebastien Tellier making an appearance alongside artists such Lee Hazelwood, Scott Walker, The Troggs, Cat Power, Robert Wyatt, Japan and The Cure. Air also give their collaboration with writer Alessandro Baricco ‘Musica’ an airing on the disc.
1. The Cure – All Cats Are Grey
2. Black Sabbath – Planet Caravan
3. Nino Rota - O’ Venezia Venaga Venusia
4. The Band – I Shall Be Released
5. Georges Delerue Theme De Camille
6. Japan – Ghosts
7. Scott Walker – The Old Man’s Back Again
8. Jeff Alexander – Come Wander With Me
8. Minnie Ripperton – Loving You
9. Cat Power – Metal Heart
10. Tan Dun – For The World
11. Sebastien Tellier – Le Long de la Riviere Tendre
12. Lee Hazelwood – My Autumn’s Done Come
13. Robert Wyatt – P.L.A.
14. Elliot Smith – Let’s Get Lost
15. The Troggs – Cousin Jane
16. Air/Alessandro Baricco – Musica
17. The Cleveland Orchestra – Ravel: Pavane Pour Une Enfante Défunte
‘Late Night Tales’ compiled by Air will be out on Azuli Records September 11, 2006.