‘Coast2Coast’ is very much a set that connects the dots between the old and new, mixing classic tracks off labels such as Strictly Rhythm with modern day cuts that were clearly influenced by the former. The tone is set with the opening acapella ‘Legends’ by Project 86 from 1991, with its dictionary definition of what is to follow: a homage to old school house masterfully woven by two students of the genre.
Âme know when to play deep and soulful and when to kick it up a notch. The first part of the mix is the former, with the full version of the aforementioned ‘Legends’ and Mondee Oliver’s ‘Make Me Want You’ seemingly beamed in from early nineties NY house radio. Fittingly it is Carl Craig, a man consistently making hits for almost two decades, who kicks things into a higher gear with a few modern day tracks. His remix of the seminal Rhythm & Sound sounds better than ever here, segueing into the first chords of ‘Sleepy Hollow,’ last year’s breakthrough hit for Stefan Goldmann. The driving rhythms and the grooving percussion of ‘Turn it Off’ keep things hopping along nicely before the mix turns back to the early nineties again with ‘Equinox’ from Code 718 (aka Danny Tenaglia), which still matches up effectively fifteen years on.
Âme are great at working things up and down, and for every chill song a la ‘Baccula’ you get the feeling that something good is about to burst out right around the corner. Oscar G & Stryke’s ‘Hypnotized’ is a great vocal house number with echoing female vocals, while the first funk laced beats of ‘2 Please U’ pave the way for the home stretch nicely. And like any good history of the genre should, it finds room for proto-house: C.T Satin’s ‘I Found a Friend’ is a serious throwback to the eighties with cheese-fueled lyrics that’ll bring a smile to your lips.
All that’s left is for Âme to put their own stamp on proceedings, and ‘Coast2Coast’ gently eases us in for landing with their beatless remix of ‘Timbuktu’, a perfect night cap after any large night out. The mix begins and ends with talk of legends, yet you can’t help but think that with the consistency and depth on offer here, Âme aren’t too far off from standing up there beside their mentors themselves.
Sun / 20 May 2007
1. Project 86 - Legends (Acapella)
2. DJ Sprinkles - Sloppy 42nds (Gloria’s Deeperama)
3. Project 86 - Legends
4. Mondeé Oliver - Make Me Want You
5. Soultourist - Turn It Loose
6. Rhythm & Sound feat. Bobbo Shanti - Poor People Must Work (Carl Craig Remix)
7. Stefan Goldmann & Âme - Sleepy Hollow (Version)
8. Raudive - Turn It Off
9. Code 718 – Equinox (Original Concept Mix)
10. Chateau Flight - Baccula
11. Oscar G & Stryke - Hypnotized (Charles Webster Remix)
12. Freaks - 2 Please U (Losoul Surreal Visits Dub)
13. CT Satin - I Found A Friend
14. Buddah Khan - The Buddah Khan Theme (Whip-N-Turn Main Mix)
15. Ferrer & Sydenham - Timbuktu (Âme Beatless Mix)
CD2 - bonus unmixed CD
1. Ferrer & Sydenham - Timbuktu (Âme Beatless Mix)
2. Code 718 – Equinox (Original Concept Mix)
3. Mondeé Oliver - Make Me Want You
4. Stefan Goldmann & Âme - Sleepy Hollow (Version)
5. CT Satin - I Found A Friend
6. Freaks - 2 Please U (Losoul Surreal Visits Dub)
7. Project 86 – Legends
8. Oscar G & Stryke - Hypnotized (Charles Webster Remix)
9. Rhythm & Sound feat. Bobbo Shanti - Poor People Must Work (Carl Craig Remix)
10. Buddah Khan - The Buddah Khan Theme (Whip-N-Turn Main Mix)
11. Chateau Flight - Baccula