The first disc is a bedroom DJ's dream, with nine new exclusive tracks in unmixed format, including contributions from Solomun and label buddies Stimming and H.O.S.H. The tone is very much moody percussive rumblings, almost sombre at times; a darker aspect to the quintessential Diynamic sound. The presence of new and less familiar names also intrigues, with deep epic rocker "Sicksnack" by Ost & Jex and the afterhours squalor of Tricksi's "Your Lonely Nites" providing hooks and energy.
The second disc sees Solomun blend together past label releases, resulting in a solid, jackin' ride through deep and tech house. The mix starts with the anticipatory plucked strings of "Tagesschau," but then takes a while to really get going. Aficionados, however, will love the intrigue and understated magic of a little melody tease here and a double bass thud there as it builds towards Anja Schneider's remix of H.O.S.H.'s "Steppenwolf," which changes the whole vista of the mix, leading on to the pulsating "Liberaos" by Stimming and the freaky, trippy, jovial organ rendition that is "Radar."
Unsurprisingly, the track selection throughout is dominated by original cuts and not remixes, highlighting Diynamic's decision to rarely have its releases be remixed. (That some of the more popular tracks, such as "Steppenwolf' and "Eiszauber," have had alternative mixes points more towards commercial interest than musical progression.) The originals, in their imagination, are almost immune to being remixed, in fact. That's why when Jerome Sydenham takes "Steppenwolf" again and rocks it even harder, there is the sense that (despite its obvious quality) it isn't on the same wavelength as Diynamic, whose sound is bordering on becoming a genre of its own. Luckily, the remainder of the mix is true to the aesthetic that makes Sigur Rós look like play-safe hesitants, with the explosive deep sensations of "Eskapade" and the stirring epic "Eiszauber."
That latter track, "Eiszauber," among others, represents what has made the label so special thus far. The combination of two of the label's few producers and the creation of noises so engaging and intense that you don't know how to deal with them. Seemingly the close working proximity of Diynamic's central protagonists and the exclusivity of being a team member has allowed their sense of adventure to run away with them; no checks, no balances and clearly no need to conform.
Tue / 11 Nov 2008
01. Solomun & Stimming - Lemniskate
02. Jay Shepheard - Beast Regards
03. H.O.S.H. - Gartenarbeit
04. Ost & Kjex - Sicksnack
05. Paulo Olarte - Numeros Rotos
06. Trickski - Your Lonely Nites
07. Solomun - Prinz Mono
08. Solar & Poppcke - Night Train
09. Stimming - For a Friend
01. Solomun & Gebrüder Ton - Tagesschau (Jackmate Remix)
02. Solomun & H.O.S.H. - Sonnenbrand
03. Solomun - Small talk (Jimpster Remix)
04. H.O.S.H. - Themes, Rhythms and Harmonies
05. H.O.S.H. - Steppenwolf (Anja Schneider Remix)
06. Stimming - Liberaos
07. Stimming & H.O.S.H. - Radar
08. Stimming - Funkworm
09. Solomun - Flying Pics
10. Kollektiv Turmstrasse - Mileu
11. H.O.S.H. - Steppenwolf (Jerome Sydenham Remix)
12. Solomun & Stimming - Feuervogel (Guido Schneider Remix)
13. H.O.S.H. - Drums of Spring
14. Kollektiv Turmstrasse - Eskapade
15. Solomun & Stimming - Eiszauber (Motorcitysoul Remix)
16. Stimming & Einmusik - Magdalena