Opening the compilation with one of acid-house's pioneers is as strong a declaration of intent as you could get. DJ Pierre's "I've Lost Control" is one of those (rare) moments when the music both seems timeless and time-bound, an improbable telescoping of both 2009 and 1989. And, sure, you get your fair share of acid house's most over-used clichés, either lyrically or musically, about jackin' it (Bennie A's "X3," Motor's "Jacked Up," Acid Junkies' "Chica Sexy," Seelenluft's surprising Inner City imitation on "You Can Dance"), and it's also a bit too ironic to have the vocals on Heib's 'Jackpot' telling you that "This is not about standing there looking good" when Gigolo has always made a strong case for fierce visual identity in the past. But notwithstanding these minor concessions to the sub-genre's tics, these cuts aren't overtly contrived—which is something you could all too easily accuse of Gigolo's output in the past.
But despite the aforementioned retro nodding to acid and vintage Detroit techno that punctuates the compilation, the material here sounds shockingly current. Joel Alter's "Snake Eyes," for instance, has the hypnotic sparseness of a Radio Slave remix, The Model's bleeby "Newly Found Voids" takes Plaid-like motifs and sets them to a present-day beat and Peter Kruder's "Visions Ltd" recalls Henrik Schwarz at his melodic best while suggesting great things from the upcoming Kruder/Hell collaborations. And that's not even going into the astonishing ten-minute long "Discotecktonic," a climaxing spacey odyssey by Fetish and Me that's way more gripping than the S&M connotations would suggest.
In the current economic climate, it's rather surprising to see a dance music label still going at it with the same determination after more than a decade. And it's even more remarkable to see DJ Hell coming up with almost three hours of solid new music after his years in the wilderness hawking toilet paper and panties. It's probably a bit too soon to be talking renaissance, but with this compilation and a promising new double album coming out in April, Hell's upturn from suave fashion icon to pertinent DJ seems to be shaping up.
Mon / 16 Mar 2009
01. DJ Pierre - I've Lost Control (WildPiTcHMix)
02. Peter Kruder - Visions Ltd
03. I.B.M. - Kill Bill (BMG Edit)
04. Opiates - Candy Coated Crime
05. G.rizo - Boys Medley featuring DJ Glow & Donovan
06. Hell - The Disaster (CD Eleven edit)
07. Joel Alter - Snake Eyes
08. The Model - Newly Found Voids
09. Motor - Jacked Up
10. Richard Bartz - Voyager
11. Acid Junkies - Chica Sexy
12. Captain Commodore - Express
13. Seelenluft - You Can Dance
01. Actor One - Popcorn
02. Marascia - Leggy
03. Fetische &Me - Discotecktonic
04. Snuff Crew - DJ Into Space
05. Herman Schwartz - Back 2 Black
06. Abe Duque - Life Is Sooo Good to Me
07. Lopazz feat. Deafny Moon - What Should I Do?
08. Bennie A - X3
09. Heib - Jackpot
10. Joe Le Bon - Tanssiakos 07
11. Phobia - Phobia (Hell's CD Eleven edit)