There are plenty of remixes, and on balance they work well, taking elements of the original to places you wouldn't have expected. Adopting a more straightforward tech house stomp, Sei A goes for bitcrushed corrosion, subtle acid and a heads-down groove of hard toms and tinkling bells. Paul Woolford takes an old-school acid route, with a guttural bassline and flashing, searing cymbals and claps; the melancholic lead serves as the perfect segue to an inspired piano passage at the track's climax. At first, Matthew Herbert doesn't seem to do much more than drape a layer of cheesecloth over the source material, but as new chords and a new vocal take a hard left, he manages to turn the song on its ear.
Turbo artists Gingy & Bordello deliver the EP's secret weapon. It's not rocket science: the rhythm chugs like Superpitcher or Chloe, the vocals are looped just so and the details are gratifyingly dubbed. A pinwheeling synth lead is what sets it all off, and beneath furrowed brows, the eyes widen, reflecting blacklight acid fireworks.
Sun / 2 Oct 2011
01. What Do You Do When You Do What You Do
02. What Do You Do When You Do What You Do (Matthew Herbert's Little Liar Remix)
03. What Do You Do When You Do What You Do (Sei A Remix)
04. What Do You Do When You Do What You Do (Paul Woolford Remix)
05. What Do You Do When You Do What You Do (Gingy & Bordello Remix)